Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegangirl_gw

sand revisited--I'm sorry:-(

vegangirl
19 years ago

I went to Lowes to look for sand. They had sand in bags, two different. One was called "patio paving sand" and one was called "leveling sand". I wasn't able to feel them to test the texture. The patio sand bag said "caution: contains silica compounds" or something similar. I forget the exact wording but it was silica. Would either of these work for my seed mix?

Also I haven't been able to find the chick grit but still plan to check as we go to vist DD in TN this weekend. But..if I never find any, is there an acceptable substitute that I might use, that I might be able to find?

I'm sorry to keep bothering you good folks about sand and grit. You've all bee SO helpful already.

Comments (7)

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've printed off all the good advice on sand and the grit thread to take with me to TN. Maybe I'm being to perfectionistic about this but I want to give my seeds the best opportunity I can to survive and thrive. :-)

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I found the chick grit!!!. I got it at Tractor Supply in TN. They only had 5 lb bags for $3.78 each. I got two bags and probably should have bought more.

I made another trip to Lowes and asked the new nursery manager about the sand. At least he knew what I was looking for but they don't have it. He took me back to the masonry section and let me feel the two sands that they have, which are fine and medium. He and I agreed that I probably need the coarse, which of course they don't carry. So, I'm still looking.

• brian2cv
    19 years ago

Having looked at several of the USA building materials websites I would say you should use washed concreting sand. Often in the UK this is mixed with small stones, say up to 3/4" size, and then called ballast, but the sand fraction without the stones, up to 6mm or 1/4" should be fine for compost.
    Glad you found the chick grit, even if only in small bags. I get it from a horse and animal feed store in bags I can barely lift, but it is dearer than grit from the garden centres.

Brian UK

• sagebrushred
    19 years ago

Congrats on finding some grit! It is too bad that they only had 5lb bags. But at least you have some now, and know where to get more.

The sand that Brian describes sounds alot like some that I've purchased in the past and indeed the smaller particles would work for your purposes. You would need to separate the larger rocks from the smaller though. If you make a sieve/screen using some 1/4" or 1/2" square opening wire cloth/screen from the hardware store I'm sure you could do this in short order. Then the larger rock can be used in the open rock garden.

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Brian & Sagebrushred, Thanks so much! I found out about a place about 25 miles away that sells brick, cinder block, sand and all sorts of masonry stuff. I plan to check there as soon as the snow is gone. I don't drive in snow:-) Thanks for giving me the idea and helping me know what to look for.

About the chick grit...I posted this on the NARGS donor thread too...I just looked at my chick grit and even though on the front of the bag is says "crushed granite" it has a lot of other stuff in it. I didn't even think to look at the ingredients until I opened it up just now and smelled the anise. It says "oyster shell, washed heat treated silica, calcite, potassium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc oxide, calcium carbonate, mananous oxide, iron carbonate, copper oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, sulphur, calcium sulfate, oil of anise." I know plants need and use trace minerals but will any of this extra stuff have a negative effect on my seeds/seedlings? So I may be back to the proverbial drawing board.

• leftwood
    19 years ago

You know, I wonder if most of what is on that list are "impurities" in the granite. I suspect our resident geologist will post soon. Isn't GW great!

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hmm..maybe you're right. Yes, GW is great!! I'm so glad I found it. I've learned a great deal from the wonderful folks here.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?