Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosacentifolia

Difficulties with Gentianas

rosacentifolia
19 years ago

Hello all to you!

You are always so nice to answer on my questions that I try once more to present my difficulties with growing up of some Gentianas like G. sino-ornata and G. algida. They come irregularly from seeds, and after potting individually, much disappears. And when I can preserve them until fall, the winter of the first year is always another problem. When I plant them directly in the garden, all is ok. But in pots? very, very difficult. So, what do I wrong?

I have the same problem with the Aster diplostephioides, but it is known, that this aster is difficult in culture. If anyone can give me good advices I will be very happy. Thank you!

rosacentifolia

Comments (3)

• MarkG_UK
    19 years ago

Hi, I'm not growing these myself but I had an inkling of the problem and have done some checking. One, they germinate best from fresh seed, "in the green" I believe. After that, germination is irregular. I also thought they don't like disturbance, again I got that right, but interestingly the advice is to pot on as soon as the first true leaves appear..I would have said give them a while then pot late..just as well I checked!
    Finally, sino-ornata according to one of my texts, really doesn't like pots.

• rosacentifolia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you, MarkG, that's exactly what I experienced: no pots for the G. sino-ornata and no disturbance. I saw your very beautiful site. The Calceolaria..... how do it survive in the winter? I have in culture the Calceolaria biflora. They have been nice until two weeks ago, and now all are brown, perhaps....dead?
    Thank you once more,
    rosacentifolia

• MarkG_UK
    19 years ago

Hi, the Calceolaria is now long gone..virtually all the alpines and bulbs were in a greenhouse. I am trying to rebuild my collection which has had to be in remote storage for about 6 months following a house move. I've lost many plants and this season there are fewer flowers. I'll reply to your e-mail when I get back, just going away for Easter now!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath