Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sempervivum Chick Growing Upwards?

Posted by Jookieblue (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 10:22

Good Morning Forum,
This is my first post so bare with me please. I thought this would be the best place to post this concern I have with my Sempervivum Chicks. I just lost the mother hen due to root rot and that was very unfortunate because she was producing many baby chicks right before I transplanted her into a new pot. Anyways, I have a few of her chicks that I do not want to die and they too are growing upward and the bottom leaves have started to curl under. I took a few pictures of them up close in hopes that maybe someone can help me fix this problem. I have also bought a fluorescent light fixture to try and help them receive more light. I am currently growing them indoors until it gets warmer as I live in Michigan. They also are provided with indirect sunlight pretty much all day as well. Please any help to keep them living and growing would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sempervivum Chick Growing Upwards?

It is difficult to provide the intensity of light that normal Sunlight would provide, but that is not all. The wavelengths in Sunlight are best imitated by special plant gro type bulbs. Most ordinary bulbs will not do. And keep the plant on the dry side.
Different sorts of Hen and Chicks come from various European areas, and may vary in hardiness, so some might Winter in Michigan out-of-doors. You could ask Arrowhead Alpines about that, as they are in Michigan.

o
RE: Sempervivum Chick Growing Upwards?

They'll be fiine once you plant them outside. Sempervivum spp. are hardy in very cold climates, being alpines. You will have to harden them off though, prior to planting them out. Just set the pot outdoors in the shade for a week or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here