Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caringhands

broken cement rock garden

caringhands
17 years ago

We have some pieces of broken cement that were removed from our basement floor when we put in some plumbing. Has any one done a rock garden using broken cement pieces? If so how did it look and was it a do-able project?

Comments (6)

• botann
    17 years ago

It's do-able, but probably pretty hard to make it look decent. I have a bunch of broken concrete and will try to put something together and see how it turns out. It can't look any worse than the pile it's in now. This may turn out to be fun!

• janet_e
    17 years ago

Just a word of encouragement... a few years ago I attended a talk by Baldassare Mineo, who was then the owner of Siskiyou Rare Plant Nursery. He constructed a garden of broken cement at the nursery to show off the plants while avoiding the high cost of stone. He showed slides, and the garden looked lovely.

• leftwood
    17 years ago

I second janet_e's comments. I probably saw the same slides.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I used broken cement chunks to edge my flowerbeds and also in two layers to make a psuedo rock garden across the front of my yard along the curb. 12 years later with many succulents and other plants fully grown, it looks fine to me. I could not afford all the rock it would have taken.

• des1958
    17 years ago

It might be interesting to use some concrete stain from Home depot/ Lowes to alter the color and make it blend with the surroundings more.

• caringhands
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the encouragement... The snow is finnally gone and we are going to start our cement rock garden. We will keep you posted.

Sponsored