Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swilson2

Alpine Columbine for Rock Garden

swilson2
20 years ago

I am looking for a source for Alpine Columbines, preferably in the Denver Metro area. This is a small plant with miniture Columbine blossoms ideally suited for rock cracks and a high altitude location (8,500')

Anyone have experience with this plant and/or know where I can find plants and/or seed?

Comments (4)

• nagamaki
    20 years ago

Hi, using Google search, i believe there is a colorado rocky mtn. wilflower seed co.

ciao

• johnns
    20 years ago

Colorado nurseries that I am aware of that specialize in rock garden plants are Rocky Mountain Rare Plants in Franktown, CO:
    www.rmrp.com
    and Laporte Avenue Nursery in Fort Collins.

For others, contact the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society:
    www.nargs.org/meet/chapters.html

You might be able to find where to look from at the Denver Botanical Garden which has a fantastic rock garden:
    www.botanicgardens.org/pageinpage/home.cfm

Cheers,
    John P in NS

• waplummer
    20 years ago

Bob Nole author of the book on columbines lives in denver and this month's American Gardener had an article by Bob. He lists several sources of both seeds and plants.

• JaneH
    20 years ago

I believe the species you are looking for is called Rocky Mountain Columbine (Aquilegia saximontana). I grow this columbine in my experimental gardens at 10,000 feet in Breckenridge CO. It is easy to grow and self-sows readily.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain View Experimental Gardens

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living