Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherbirdwise

When to plant spreading arabis (rock cress blanc)

cherbirdwise
14 years ago

Hi,

I hope there are folks here aleady planning their gardens? I had an unfortunate incident; my landscaper's assistant pulled out all of my arabis. It had taken me a long time to obtain the right variety since some sellers don;t know what they have..and I got little tiny mounds in place of the spreading varieties I wanted many times.

Finally I found a grower and am wondering what the recommended time for planting actually is here in Boston suburbs of Revere-Chelsea area? 02150 I want to make suer that they;re shipped at the right time. I wrote asking whether they are bare root or potted; I'm almost srue they aer in 4 " pots and may or may not be in a nursery but wil be at the shippers for awhile before I get them...still might need hardening of a day or so. I need to find out where they are exactly. But I know it's cold and the ground is hard soild mudd right now..not suer what date we can be sure that it will remain as soil s I can aplant them and need to inform shipper of this. Thankf for any hehlp you can be.

I know others have obtained these but it hs been difficult for me to obtain the proper vareity over the years. Have had seom bad luck at first until i got the ones I needed and then when the landscaper tossed them out I nearly had a heart attack. I was visably sickened. I've not even informed him that he did this yet, Not sure how to handle it as he probably will not reimburse me and just ignore me..that's how it is alot of the time as I am so easy going. I will tell him and see what he offers and if nothng I won't be using him again that's for sure. His prices were astronomical anyway when he got thru with me his charges were quadrouple what other landscapers are and have been.

Any help with original question woudl be appreciated. I guess I'm just excite dto be talkign abotu gardening again!

Comment (1)

• leftwood
    13 years ago

I've never heard of any Arabis sold bare root, unless they are cuttings, in which case the seller would say so. Some sellers will remove the pot but still send the root mass in the original soil. Inconsequential, IMO.

Of course, late April now, you can certainly plant. Arabis are forgiving plants, but if you are planting in what would be mud when wet, I would recommend you improve the soil for drainage. Being alpine plants, Arabis do not need rich soil, and better amendments would be sand and grit.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES