Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

Saxifrage cutting Propagation

leftwood
18 years ago

Tree and shrub cutting propagation is old hat for me, but alpine cuttings are new. I just never got a round to it, and never had the need. Our MN Chapter of NARGS had a prop workshop lead by the owner of Rice Creek Gardens, know nationwide for choice alpines.

I really didn't care to much about some of the materials we had to propagate, like dianthus, but I did take pieces of a few different sax(mossy and encrusted). Applied some weak IBA talc (.1%), and stuck in a medium of half soiless potting mix, half perlite. Watered, enclosed in clear bag. Simple methods.

Now my question: being alpine in nature, I imagine I can't just keep the bag enclosed for weeks like I do my woody materials. She said to only leave the bag sealed for 3-5 days. Then what? Should I completely open it for an hour a couple times a day . . . leave it partially open all the time? What do you think? What are your experiences?

Rick

Comments (5)

• alpiner
    18 years ago

This doesn't help your problem. I am, however, a little surprised you are propagating saxifrages this way. I propagate quite a few species from all types...including mossy, encrusted, etc. It's quite simple to hold the plant in one hand and reach under and pull away (not up) a couple bits of rhizome or root and pot these up. Every little rosette or whatever top form the saxifrage has is capable of quickly rooting with a bit of rhizome attached. I'll take one plant not more than a couple inches across and divide it easily into a couple dozen of which there's almost 100% success in propagation. On a nice specimen plant, removing one leaf and a bit of rhizome isn't even noticeable.

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I thought as much, and had wondered if it was that hard to root sax's all by themselves (without any hormones). But this is what she recommended for pieces without roots. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if she said this to ensure success with people not knowing what they are doing. We had several members attending that are very new to the whole concept of rock gardening, let alone propagation.

I am really not worried with what's going to happen. I just want to spark some discussion.

• plantcompost
    18 years ago

Most saxifrages like being kept on the moist side and maybe that's why the bag method was recommended but I have to agree that it doesn't probably matter as saxifrages are almost as easy to root as sedums....just plunk them in the soil and as long as the soil is slightly moist you can forget about them.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Sometimes they will fall apart in the garden, probably due to excess moisture but perhaps also due to being too dry, and each rosette will reroot all on its own.

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The bag has been off for 10 days now, and nothing seems to be suffering. Thanks everyone.

Sponsored