Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairieroots_gw

Trio for alpine trough

PrairieRoots
19 years ago

Hi,

When my wife moved form Calgary 8 years ago she brought an alpine though but it hasn't been used since then. So, I was thinking that for a birthday gift in June, I would buy a few alpines to start her off again. The trough measures 24" by 16" and must weigh 100 lbs LOL. I was thinking of starting with 3 plants and letting her shop for the rest. So, if anybody has some trio suggestions hardy to zone 3, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andre

Comments (5)

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

There are plenty to choose from! See attached link for a sampling.
    Edward's here in Calgary always has an excellent supply of alpines from spring through to fall, should you ever pass through. Haven't been too impressed by the selection of alpines listed in Hole's catalogue, but no doubt they will have more in the store. Are there any garden centers that specialize in alpines there?
    Do you already have the soil mix for the trough all figured out?

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread....

• PrairieRoots
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Sharon,
    Is that Edwards in Bowness? I remember going there a few years ago but can't remember seeing alpines. I'm often in Calgary in the spring and summer so I'll make sure I will stop and look around.
    Actually, it was that thread that got me thinking about my wifeÂs trough. I honestly have no idea about alpines with the exception of a few sedums. So many plants that I have no idea about were mentioned in that thread and I am scared I would pick 3 plants that would not be compatible or just look horrible together. I was hoping somebody could suggest a combination of 3 plants that would work together.
    Special soil? I will have to do some research into that. Perhaps I will get my wife a bag of trough soil instead of the 3 plants LOL.
    Andre

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

Yes, aside from all the regular garden stuff, they've specialized in alpines for some years now - a new shipment in weekly during the prime season...however, I should mention that the business is moving its location this spring, but I don't know to where yet.

Plants that look horrible together? In my general experience in gardening, I'm not sure that's even likely, LOL! Plants that are "incompatible"? Yes, that would probably explain the many alpines I have unwittingly sacrificed, by not investigating and providing for their particular environmental needs.
    The list I showed in the other thread is of plants that are all being grown in the same conditions and same location, in our 5 troughs, so I'd conclude that those species are happy with similar conditions and appear to be generally undemanding.

Re. soil mix, I haven't actually seen pre-mixed alpine mix sold here, but once you decide on a "recipe" and locate the ingredients (grit being the only less-readily available one), it's easy enough to mix it up yourself, needless to say.

• PrairieRoots
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. I guess the next step is to find some of the plants and go from there. I think Holes will be the best start for me. Thanks again.
    Andre

• Onion
    19 years ago

Hi there,
    You are sweet, Andre, to think of getting your wife started off with alpines again. I'm shopping for alpines & rock garden plants, too, and I ran across this website (below) that will sell you a 'package' of small plants (they call them "jar gems" because they'll fit into the little pockets on strawberry jars). Anyway, you can have them select a group of 6 plants for you... You might want to call them or go thru their website and make sure they will give you what will work for your zone. Also, I haven't checked their record on Garden Watchdog (gardenwatchdog.com) to see if they are reputable with mail order. You might double check.

Good luck!
    ~Onion

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulberry Creek

Sponsored