Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mertensia primuloides

Posted by Yellow_Bear_1 z4 (5) SD (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 04 at 20:37

Hey everybody, I'm looking for plants of Mertensia primuloides. Saw a photo with no added info in the Timber Press's Book of Blue Flowers. Beautiful, and rich blue. Primula habit. Anybody have any ideas where I might find them? Anybody seen them anywere? And in case anyone else is interested in beautiful Mertensias, Laporte Avenue Nursery in Fort Collins, CO is carrying the lovely Mertensia maritima. It has big round powder blue leaves the size of silver dollars and then the beautiful blue bells. Thanks for any help. Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mertensia primuloides

I don't have a lead for you on M. primuloides.

But two other dwarf Mertensias suitable for the rock garden that I grow are M. alpina, and M. lanceolata. These are quite similar to one another as I recall. Small flowers opening pink then turning sky blue. Bluish, fleshy foliage.

I also grow M. maritima.

I agree, choice plants.

o
RE: Mertensia primuloides

Glen, you are growing in a zone 3!! Bravo! Any tips for growing the Mertensia maritima? I hear they can be a bit tricky.
I posted my search in the perennials forum and someone there directed me to the Evermay Nursery site on line.
www.evermaynursery.com
They carry the Mertensia primuloides and some other gems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here