Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crankyoldman_gw

Growing conditions on Himalayan grassy slopes

crankyoldman
18 years ago

I have started some seeds of a plant native to sunny, grassy slopes of the Himalayas at 2000-4400 meters. The plant is Anisodus tanguticus (Scopolia tangutica), not a typical rock garden plant because it can get up to a meter tall, but I thought people here might have some knowledge about growing conditions on these slopes. How much cold can plants in such areas stand? Do they normally get such intense sun that they cannot prosper in the 300m hills where I live? This plant is so little grown that I can find no cultivation information for it. I couldn't find germination info either, but I got lucky with that.

Comments (2)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Very hardy, but not happy in hot summers. You'll probably have to keep it in shade to stop it burning up, that might not produce the best plants. I guess you're in the snow belt, it should be quite happy under snow all winter.

• crankyoldman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, snb. Yes, usually we get plenty of snow here, but not this year. Don't know what that means for the summer. I just hope it isn't like last summer, which was very hot and dry.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction