Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharradog_gw

Wedding centrepiece suggestions for June wedding

sharradog
19 years ago

I am getting married on June 24, and my "plan" is to have small alpine containers on the tables as centrepieces. I tried making some hypertufa containers, they looked okay as far as troughs goes, but I decided not really suitable for the Banff Springs (kinda fancy)...the maitre d' might have a heart attack as I pushed them into the reception hall. Plus they would be very heavy.

So, I bought some teracotta looking plastic round shallowish containers (don't sound much better, but trust me they look fine)

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions on

1. When to plant (I was told early May - essentially soon!)

2. Suggestions on plants that will look good together (i am considering "theme" containers or colour, or whatever, really, even making them all the same)

Also, I might have to "overplant" to make the trough seem full - any comments?

Ideally there would be at least some (perhaps half?) of the plants blooming at the end of June.

3. Soil type ) I have read things like peat/sawdust/soil and scoria/sand/perlite/peat. Any tips?

4. Any suggestions on type of mulch? I was thinking just that forestry grit that I have in my tufa garden as it would complement the teracotta containers.

5. Once I have planted the containers, do I leave them outside, outside in a cold frame...? (sorry, I'm a novice) Note that I"m in Alberta and we may have snow up to and including the wedding.

Any other suggestions are appreciated! Thanks to anyone to make my wedding day beautiful and help to incorporate my interest in alpine plants!

Caroline

Comments (3)

• GardenChicken
    19 years ago

Caroline,

Have you been in contact with either the Calgary Hort. Society or better yet the Calgary Rock & Alpine Garden Society (CRAGS)?
    I'll bet you could find the information there, or they could point you in the right direction anyway...

CRAGS

Calgary Hort.

• sharradog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, I'm a member of CRAGS but haven't been able to make any meetings lately....
    Caroline

• nwrose
    18 years ago

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.
    I can't answer all of your questions, but a few thoughts.
    Moss on top of your containers would be nice, here in the pacific northwest we have a native moss which is green and lush. You can put it on the day of or day before the wedding or put it on when youn plant. Irish moss would be pretty also.
    I'm not sure you are giving enough info, what sort of plants are you thinking? Annuals, sedums, very small shrubs....you mentioned alpine looking. To me, it makes me think of a bonsai look, a twisted knareled looking bush with leaves on the top.
    If you are doing annuals, the sky is the limit and your nurseryman would be the place to start. Getting them done now would be best and yes, leave them in an area of good light and some warmth or they will sit and not to a thing.
    Don't worry if you don't get the bloom you want. You can always buy flowers and attractivly add a blossom here and there. Roses, carnations, orchads, Alstrameria, dasies, are a few that would work well for this. Get a hold of some water picks,usually from a florist, and cut the stem short, put it in these tiny vials of water and push into the soil, attractivly. Another great florist trick is to get some dead twigs, they usually use curly willow, and have an airy artful wisp of that coming up out of the center. You see, do not stress over the planters if they are not perfect, because you can 'kicking it up a notch' when the time comes. You might even be able to puch tapers into them and have a soft glow of light as well. The law of table center pieces is to keep them low enough for conversation to go on over the tops. Canles and twigs don't typically cause a problem with people talking.
    If I am thinking alpine, I'm looking for 'less is better' Rocks, dead wood, sparse looking plants. Recreate what you see when you are out on your hikes.
    I hope that helps.
    Good luck,
    Smiles,
    D...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH