Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

I need suggestions for covering a dry slope with sedum

JustJoeyGirl
20 years ago

I have an area (z5, New York) that is a slope, rather long, full sun, and no additional irrigation. For a part of this slope I would like to have an area that has low growing succulents like sedum, hens and chicks, etc. I once saw an article in a magazine a very long time ago that highlighted a garden that 'looked like jewels'. I believe it was sedums. You have to forgive me, I am an established perennial gardener, and do lots of shrubs, trees, bulbs and even annuals, but I have 0 experience with alpines, or sedums. I did try hens and chicks, and lewisa once, but they died. Can I ask for some general information on alpines, and suggestions for starting this type of garden? Thanks for any help, JoAnn.

Comments (3)

• steve22802
    19 years ago

I have a sloping bank in full sun in my backyard which I have been gradually covering with some nice low creeping plants including sedums (spurium, rupestre, kamtschaticum, sarmentosum), delosperma cooperi, and phlox subulata. This combination of plants has been working very well for me and I would recommend them all for your situation. All of these (except maybe the phlox) love well drained soil and full sun. (Phlox subulata loves sun but I'm not sure what type soil it prefers.) This combination of plants has both nice (albeit small) blossoms and interesting foliage textures. Delosperma cooperi (ice plant) is also a long bloomer going from mad summer through mid fall.

All of the sedums and the iceplant are very easy to propagate. I just cut or break off the tips of existing plants and stick them in the soil. The spurium, kamtschaticum and phlox will all creep slowly and the and sarmentosum will creep rapidly. The others need assistance if you want them to cover more area.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you, I'll check out your suggestions, and see if they are hardy here in z5.

• steve22802
    19 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot to look at your zone. I think they will all be fine except for the ice plant (delosperma cooperi) which is only hardy down to zone 7.