Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janine_starykowicz

New saxifraga

Janine Starykowicz
15 years ago

I bought a Saxifraga x arendsii today, it is Rockfoil Touran Deep Red. I have a generic sedum planted in dirt in full sun, seems happy and spreading a little. I thought this would go well with it because the little points look so similar.

Does it need more shade than the sedum? Do I need to put rocks down first? I do have stepping stones all over, still trying to find something to grow between them. I have areas of pink lamium, creeping charley, the sedum, and a few patches of grass.

Comments (2)

• leftwood
    14 years ago

Fortunately the Touran series is supposed to be more forgiving, and do better in more regular garden soils than most saxifrages (that prefer a lean, mineral soil). But if it gets hot there in the summer, it won't like it. Better to plant it in part shade, especially where it is shaded in the hottest parts of the day.

Even though it "looks" like a sedum, it is not related, and won't tolerate the hot, dry conditions that a sedum will.

• madtripper
    14 years ago

This plant can be tricky. I have tried it in a variety of places, but usually with some shade. My best results are on a sandy clay, 45 deg slope, that gets direct sun only first thing in the morning. They seem to be triving there.

I think they like some moisture, shade and good drainage.

I would not plant it next to a common sedum which like it hot and dry.

Sponsored