Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_dandy_gw

Hens Chicks ( Sempervivum ?) Tip

jim_dandy
17 years ago

Hi. I'm new to these plants but I have been collecting some for about three years and planting them in my rock wall. So far I haven't had any die and they seem to be flourishing! I had no idea how to go about planting them in the wall since there isn't any dirt between the stones, it's an old stone foundation from a farm building. On a whim I shook off all of the potting soil from the roots, reached down and grabbed a handful of mud, shaped it into a ball around the roots and pushed it into one of the spaces in the wall. Our soil is heavy, sort of clayish. I've repeated this with all of them and to my surprise they seem to love it. Since I had such success with this I thought I should share. If anyone has a better method or any tips to improve my method I would love to hear them. These plants are so cute! I got most of mine from someone selling them by the bucketful from a stand in their yard with a cash box. They were 2.00 a bucket but I have no idea what their true names are.

Comments (3)

• robin303
    17 years ago

I kinda do the same thing but I get a cold chisel and my rock hammer and enlarge an area where I can put at least a good handful of good soil in the openings with real good results.

• naturelover_2007
    16 years ago

I do the same with the wedge to make the hole, add good soil, add the main plant, more soil, and then small rock, or pea gravel to hold in place until established. Works great.They spread between the rocks by sending out babies on short arms(bracts).

• silent1pa
    16 years ago

They also do wonders in a strawberry pot. Gotta love it when they bloom. I honestly don't think they care what soil they are in since they require very little nutrients to grow. I was stuffing a few into my wall around my mailbox one day and forgot a few that I left on an old tree stump. As I went down my driveway ther following spring I just happened to notice alot of green ontop the stump ... Imagine that ... just some old stump barely enough rot to make it soft and there you go.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone