Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
got rock?

Posted by yardmartyr 5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 5:12

I only need about 5-6 rocks to finish off my rock garden. Where in northern IL would I find these? I'm not looking for big rocks. In fact, just a foot across or so would be fine. Do landscapers carry rocks, and can I get just a few rather than a whole pallet? Someone at HD suggested I just go out in a field and dig up some rocks. Not a bad idea, actually, but it sounds a little backbreaking. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: got rock?

Know any farmers? Field edges can be a treasure trove for rocks.

tj

o

Actually, I live near several farms. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

o

Where are you in IL?

In Kane Co. there are a number of places. Try your local stone quarry, or landscape supply yard!

Farmer fields are wonderful, but stop by the farmers house and ask first! We probably got a couple tons from the field piles. One farmers stipulation was I had to take the entire pile! No Problem, it was gone in a two trips!! - AL

o

Around here a lot of the stone yards sell rock by the pound. You can buy just what you need, not a whole pallet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here