Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to divide and care for Ice Plant?

Posted by kuriooo 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 7:49

Hi,

I've searched the forum and the web, but can't seem to find the exact info I'm looking for.

I believe I've got ice plant growing in a bed. I'd like to transplant some if possible to another bed nearby. Is this the right time, and if so, how do I go about it since it creates a 'mat' of foliage. I can't tell where one plant begins and ends like I can with hosta.

Also, the ice plant has grown very slowly in the 1.5 years I've had the house. Is this normal, and if so, should I consider buying some instead of the transplant for the newer bed?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to divide and care for Ice Plant?

What bullthistle says is a good general method for perennials. It would be the simplest way to go.

But Ice plants (Delosperma spp.) can be rooted just like any sedum with just a piece of stem to root, too. So you have that option also.

o
RE: How to divide and care for Ice Plant?

I just pull a piece off the parent plant and stick it in some dirt. Ice plant is one of those plants that even people with brown thumbs can grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here