Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mk87_gw

Making rock garden look more 'finished' while growing in

mk87
16 years ago

We have a very sprawl-y (sorry, that's just the best word to describe it) country ranch home. It was originally a very plain-Jane, Brady-bunch-y thing and we added onto it. The lot is just shy of an acre, which is nice. And, we are on the corner (well, there's some woods before you get to our house, but that's it). The house sits almost smack dab in the middle of the lot, which means it sits fairly far back from the road...which means a LOT of grass, if we were to have left it like that.

We didn't.

We cut out a pretty fair size kidney shape in the center, for grass and have beds all around it. The area of the bed closest to the street encompasses the ubiquitous culvert that we all love, with a slight incline up toward the street (no curb of course...just fades into the asphalt..."lovely" @@), and OF COURSE one of the neighborhood's huge electrical boxes.

(BTW, it has just occurred to me that I need to post some pix here and I will try to take some over the weekend, if we don't get too much rain...and post them.)

My husband and I decided that a rock garden in that area could be really helpful, tying in all of the weird culvert/electrical box/incline areas; so we started this last year. My problem is this: limited time/funds. I am the main gardener (as hubby is focused on finishing the inside of the house) and I'm working as fast as I can, but it's slow going as you might imagine. And, it's RIGHT there in the front of my house by the street. So, everybody sees every thing, all the time. Now, it's not an exclusive neighborhood...very mid-range. Most of the houses are country ranch. And, I believe a rock garden is well-suited to the home style. But, I am dealing with feeling some significant embarrassment digging in...what looks to the neighbors like...mud, dirt, rock and weeds...as it's taking shape.

On the end (and BTW, this rock garden area is about 140 feet long and fronts the kidney shaped grass, so looks a little like a crescent...fat on both ends...a little narrower in the middle) is the mailbox end. That's where I'm going crazy, enjoying putting in smaller things like the sedums and candytuft, miniature alpine-types, grasses etc. More smaller rocks (in the 50-100 lb range) and more different plants. There is also 1 Natchez crape myrtle. I have planted parson's and blue pacific junipers as you move toward (and all the way across) the middle of the crescent. As you get toward the electrical box end, I plan a large boulder or two, more larger junipers (I have a blue point and several saybrook gold in there now). I also already have 3 more Natchez crape myrtles there.

Anyway, just looking for some advice and hints on trying to make it not look so horribly "unfinished" while I'm finishing it. After all, this could take another year or two to really start looking like something. I have read some rock garden "expert" articles on the Web and apparently, my rock garden is not going to conform to the "correct" way to do it or whatever. I didn't realize when I started this that there were so many "rules" for "correct alpine gardening." Style and such. I mean, I am using all the same kind of rock and trying to keep them all running in the same direction and trying to bury most of them a little, for a natural look, but I am not trying to win any awards here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(P.S. Also posted similar question in the Georgia Forum, since that's where I am located.)

Comments (11)

• mk87
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks bullthistle...I do need to put out more mulch. Haven't had a chance yet, but it is on the list of things to do. LOL Good advice...I should have an extra handtool out there to gesture towards as the drivers slow down to peer over their sunglasses and frown slightly. :)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I agree with bullthistle...

"what looks to the neighbors like...mud, dirt, rock and weeds...as it's taking shape."

Mulch will make it look finished even though it is not. It will definitely keep down your weeds and then when you find a plant to put in there you just have to move the mulch aside and plant away.

What about daylilies and irises in your bed? Both come in miniatures. I have a lot of 12 - 16" daylilies that I have planted along the edge of the paths. Irises, the MDB's, are only 6"-8" high and come in all sorts of colors also.

Do you have any problems with deer or rabbits in your area?

If you are looking for plants, at a more reasonable price, what about getting some plugs from the local nurseries? I know here, in Manitoba, Canada, the nurseries are just starting to sell their plugs. There is thyme and lamium available in plugs that are sold as annuals here, but yet in your zone they would be perennials.

Brenda

• bubba62
    16 years ago

There's no rule that says you have to stick to "alpines" when establishing a rock garden, so why don't you fill in the gaps with annuals this first year? Granted, some are out of scale with your rock plants and might inhibit their growth by taking over, but portulaca, for instance, is a great plant that looks right at home in a rock garden, blooms all summer, and reseeds (although I've never had it become weedy). Nasturtiums can be direct seeded into the garden and will spread over rocks to soften edges; they also bloom better if grown in leaner soils and not irrigated so much. Gomphrena globosa, in purples and reds, is sun and heat tolerant and will provide some visual interest without taking over space you want your perennials to occupy in future years. I'm sure there are lots of others, but this would be a great way to buy some time while your slower growing plants get established. Whatever you do, don't try to rush things by planting aggressive perennial groundcovers like Vinca major or Asiatic jasmine; trust me (the voice of experience), you'd live to regret it!

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Just because an alpine garden is what many of us call a rock garden, doesn't mean yours has to be that way, containing high mountain plants, I mean. Especially in Georgia, unless you are up in the mountains yourself, true alpine plants are relatively hard to grow anyway, as the heat and humidity can spell death to those mountain plants that like cool and dry, windy air.

So keep on doing what you're doing. It sounds good to me.

• mk87
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I haven't been back to this in awhile. Busy week at work.

valleyrimgirl -- The daylilies are a good idea. The only kind of miniature ones I ever see here are what I call "landscaper's daylilies." I think they are the Stella d'Oro (sp?) variety. They are not my favorite, but maybe I can find some others through mailorder.

bubba62 -- Portulaca is one of my guilty summer pleasures! LOL It would completely wreck my color scheme out there in the rock garden, but I do love the stuff. Maybe just planted by the mailbox I could get away with it. Portulaca is right up there with making peach ice cream and sitting on the porch swing in my opinion...one of the joys of summer. I have to tell you, I did consider the Asiatic Jasmine awhile back, but I didn't do it.

leftwood -- Is Dwarf Mugo Pine considered an Alpine plant?

• annebert
    15 years ago

You could direct seed easy drought-tolerant annuals like zinnia, cosmos and calendula at the ends to fill in for this season. I think a dwarf mugo pine would look good.

• buckley
    15 years ago

Given the size/scale of your bed and the fact that cars are driving by, I think that tiny little alpines won't even be noticed. You may enjoy them, but at 25 mph, they won't exist. Not only that, but it will take thousands of them to fill in. I would go with larger perennials, groundcovers, smaller conifers, etc. and group them for effect and to enable passersby to notice them. Save the tiny alpines for your own close-up pleasure and place them where they can get the special care they need.

• Laura thegardenpages
    15 years ago

How about more rocks? Any cool pieces of wood? There's a gal in Santa Barbara who goes around covering rocks with mosaic tiles (they turned out great). Or, put in some little statue or a banner for visual interest. That sort of says 'I'm working on it' to me.

I'd do groups of plants together instead of spreading them out too.

Please don't buy cypress mulch! Yikes! I found a blog talking about it and it's not pretty. Here's a whole coalition on it: http://www.saveourcypress.org

• greeness
    15 years ago

Oh, portulaca! What a miraculours plant; many colors of flowers from just one plant. We have dwarf mugos; they look great in the semicircular rock garden between our driveway and the road. Your neighbors probably don't care that much about your yard-- it should be obvious that it's a work in progress.

One of my favorite kinds of evergreens are the various kinds of "weeping" evergreens. They add textural interest and can be quite a conversation piece--some of them look like drunk trees! There are also low growing junipers that provide fast spreading, low growing groundcover. One of my neighbors planted several on a culvert embankment and trimmed the edges straight and the top flat to resemble a blue carpet. I smile everytime I drive by it.

• yellow_bear_1
    15 years ago

Sedums.
    Any garden is a thing in evolution.
    Sedums are easy, there are lots of different colors, sizes heights and shapes.
    Did I say they are easy?
    You can fill in with them. If you buy a potted sedum you can break it into many many pieces and each one will grow to fill in any area. As you discover new and more interesting plants you can weed out the sedums as you go. You might even find new sedums that you want to keep forever but in the meantime the alpine plant world is such an adventure that you can just keep on replacing sedums as your adventure progresses but you'll have a great garden already.

• in ny zone5
    15 years ago

I will convert another piece of lawn into a bed of dwarf conifers with heathers and rockgarden plants. Rocks will get in there from other parts of my yard, might actually buy a very few.

Dwarf conifers (see the Conifer forum) look good in a rockgarden as a beautiful framework.

Heathers and heaths are colorful and come in different colors and in heights from 4 to 18 inches, are good in zone 7 to 5, probably also 8. I buy from rockspray.com. The soil needs peatmoss, you need to plant deep, and keep it watered the first year when dry.

I am just in the process to order seeds of rockgarden plants from NARGS, North American Rockgarden Society. This is a way to grow the expensive alpine plants over winter in your basement under lights, and they can populate your large rock garden the same year.

Bernd

Sponsored