Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackierooke

Rock garden disaster!

jackierooke
17 years ago

I'm heartsick or maybe I'm jumping the gun too early. I have/had lots of different plants, sedum and sempervivum in my rock garden. It was doing great last year. This year it looks like almost all of it has died. Even the container plantings like boots, and odd containers that did so well last year all look dead! I can't imagine what was different about this year to kill them all.

Any ideas?

Comments (3)

• robin303
    17 years ago

Maybe to much water or a bad hard freeze. The hardest thing to do is not water your sedums. I had 2 real hard freezes that lasted for days and I lost my cacti but not the sedums.

• schoolhouse_gw
    17 years ago

Rough Spring for everybody's gardens this year, I think. Freezing temps like robin303 mentioned, then up in the 50's, then down again into the teens. I'm going to have to replace what was well-established plants,too. But, that's gardening.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    17 years ago

I know, it seems like the so called "mild winters" can sometimes be worse than the "hard winters" due to the freezing and thawing. Usually if they stay frozen all winter and have a snow cover they are fine. Well drained soil is important as many of the plants your talking about don't like wet feet in winter. I lost a lot this year too. I would move anything "portable inside the garage for winter or I see that the folks at the flower factory in Madison wrap their large troughs in plastic, more to keep them from being too wet than to keep cold out I think.
    Catrina

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH