Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Frost heaving?

paulns
19 years ago

My Edelweiss have survived a second winter and are multiplying. But this spring they seem to be sitting an inch higher above the surrounding ground. The roots aren't exposed. (yet?). The plants are in very sandy, stony, somewhat acidic soil. I ought to have posted here first but I went ahead and spread ground dried eggshells around them, then covered those with coarse sand to make a gradual slope down from the base of the plants to the surrounding dirt. Was this a good idea? Or should I do something else? I'd hate to dig up and replant...

Comments (2)

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

I don't have that problem here, so I haven't tried this, but I've read in an article in a NARGS quarterly that planting with a collar of regular soil around the plant will prevent frost heave in sand/gravel conditions. Can anyone verify?

• paulns
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm wondering why I'm having this frost-heaving problem at all - what happens to alpines in alpine conditions - how would they survive if they heave, or don't they. More to the point, what if anything should I do for the edelweiss this fall to prevent damage to their roots.

Sponsored