Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hens & Chicks

Posted by Cinster 5 CNY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 04 at 12:03

I inherited 3 pots of these little guys. How do I care for them? One pot is the kind that has holes along the sides and they are sticking out. The other two a big round kettles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hens & Chicks

• Posted by Mitsy z9 far No. CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 23, 04 at 20:37

My semps like a gritty soil and semi-shady conditions in the summer, full sun in the winter. Let the soil dry between waterings, then give it a good drenching--if you can, avoid getting the leaves wet.
I grow them in pots and in the ground around rockery.

o

I've got them growing in the holes in the cinderblocks that support my rainbarrel- they like the extra drainage, it seems. actually, good drainage is the most imporant thing for them- they didn't seem to mind this winter, and it was ugly down here- lost my fig tree kinda winter.

o

• Posted by qbirdy z5 Central NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 30, 04 at 6:55

Well, I grow my hens and chicks in a rock wall, but we also have them growing in the gaps of cement blocks and in the flower garden. They will take full sun no problem in Syracuse (i'm up in Pulaski and grew up in Phoenix NY and e've never had trouble with Hens and chicks) As long as the containers they are in drains ok they should be good to go. If you want to plant them in the ground I would add sand to the clay and put them on a south sunny area, with some drainage. Where abouts near Syracuse are you? There are several good nurseries in the area that can help and give you advice on what will grow locally. Happy Gardening!

Lenore

o

Don't add fine sand to clay. You will end up with concrete. Add really coarse sand or even small gravel. Like Mitsy said, semps like a gritty soil .

o

I live in the Mohawk Valley area and am a newbie to the Hens&Chicks. I have a beautiful Sempervivum x "Purple Beauty" I just bought the other day. I am getting ready to transplant it. I have about a dozen buds and was thinking about taking 6 of them and create seperate plants. How easy is this? Is there anything special I need to do like get them to root first? I am good at this...I have a ton of clippings in my window sills currently rooting like nuts! LOL

o

i believe you can just pull it off and plant them in soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here