Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raistlyn

Is there anything at all that will grow in this??

raistlyn
12 years ago

Hi,

I am not sure i am in the right forum but would really appreciate some help here.

My new apartment comes with a decent sized garden which I am thrilled with. Unfortunately, it is a gravel garden. I think the contructors and builders just got lazy and filled all the surround area of the apartment blocks with red gravel. It isnt just a layer of gravel - its actually fairly deep. I am lucky to have the odd dandelion grow in there...

I get really depressed thinking such a waste it is to have this good space and not being able to plant in it (i do grow in containers but its not the same!). I have heard that some plants like the good drainage that gravel offers. Are there any plants at all i can plant in this ugly red gravel??

Thanks very much for any advice!

Comments (4)

• terrestrial_man
    12 years ago

If the property is not yours then I think you are restricted to being able to do anything with it. Check with the property manager.

• stompoutbermuda
    12 years ago

Can you build a wall around it and fill it with potting soil for a raised bed? Just using the rock for the drainage instead....

• pippi21
    11 years ago

If the property is not yours, why not do your flower gardening in containers? You can take them with you should you move. Go for the plastic or resin/fiberglass type pots, they are a lot lighter than terracotta or clay. I bought a cheap plastic window box from Big Lots last Fall and grew planted pansies in it and they bloomed all winter and are still blooming. By June they will probably not be able to survive the hot summer and that's okay because they have given color during the winter months and this Fall, I will buy more pansies and the smaller violas..

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Try to find a copy of Beth Chatto's Gravel Garden for inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beth Chatto's Gravel Garden

Sponsored