Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there anything at all that will grow in this??

Posted by Raistlyn none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 15:24

Hi,
I am not sure i am in the right forum but would really appreciate some help here.

My new apartment comes with a decent sized garden which I am thrilled with. Unfortunately, it is a gravel garden. I think the contructors and builders just got lazy and filled all the surround area of the apartment blocks with red gravel. It isnt just a layer of gravel - its actually fairly deep. I am lucky to have the odd dandelion grow in there...

I get really depressed thinking such a waste it is to have this good space and not being able to plant in it (i do grow in containers but its not the same!). I have heard that some plants like the good drainage that gravel offers. Are there any plants at all i can plant in this ugly red gravel??

Thanks very much for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there anything at all that will grow in this??

If the property is not yours then I think you are restricted to being able to do anything with it. Check with the property manager.

o

Can you build a wall around it and fill it with potting soil for a raised bed? Just using the rock for the drainage instead....

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 23:57

If the property is not yours, why not do your flower gardening in containers? You can take them with you should you move. Go for the plastic or resin/fiberglass type pots, they are a lot lighter than terracotta or clay. I bought a cheap plastic window box from Big Lots last Fall and grew planted pansies in it and they bloomed all winter and are still blooming. By June they will probably not be able to survive the hot summer and that's okay because they have given color during the winter months and this Fall, I will buy more pansies and the smaller violas..

o

Try to find a copy of Beth Chatto's Gravel Garden for inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beth Chatto's Gravel Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here