Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rocks without dirt?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 15:27

Hello. I don't exactly have a rock garden but I need a little advice. I live in a very rocky place and In many places around the property, the previous owners dumped piles of rocks and fill dirt/top soil. This has lead to piles of stiltgrass/weeds growing all over. My plan is to remove the dirt but leave the rocks and then if I want to plant I can add a little dirt back in a specific place. This way there'd be rock walls all over w/out the weeds. Is there any reason that a pile of rocks or rock walls would be less stable w/out the dirt?

Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rocks without dirt?

Just depends on how you stack them and what you are trying to do. I would arrange them with as little dirt as possible so the Stiltgrass wouldn't be able to survive, but Sedums and Echevarias would.
I put just a little dirt on rocks and stumps and Sedums do just fine....with no weeds!
Mike
Sedums on a rock photo IMG_0914.jpg

Sedum on a rock photo 2975756130036511179yWKjya_fs.jpg

Sedums, moss, rocks, and a table. photo IMG_3596.jpg

o
RE: rocks without dirt?

Here's another one.
Most people are surprised that Sedums grow just fine with moss. They might not bloom as much though if they were growing in full sun.
Mike
Sedums and moss on rocks. photo 2071514740036511179.jpg

here's some Sedum growing on a stump with only half a shovel of topsoil.
Sambucus canadensis and Sedum photo 014-2.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here