Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snuffyj

Something Ate my Semp!

snuffyj
20 years ago

Hi!

Does anyone have trouble with animals eating their semps? I discovered one of my large rosettes totally taken apart today. I am assuming it was a squirrel, not a rabbit. The rosettes had been taken apart piece by piece, but not eaten, and the root was completely gone. I was able to salvage two chicks so hopefully it wasn't a total loss. I don't have deer as I live in the city. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• webeesemps
    20 years ago

Sorry to hear about the carnage in your semp garden. Sounds to me that whatever took apart your semp was treating it like an artichoke: taking leaf after leaf apart until reaching the heart... Must be something pretty dextrous with their paws (like a squirrel). Here in NM, I have problems with birds sampling the semps or pulling the surrounding material out from around the semps for nesting material. I have to use a physical barrier to keep the animals from the semps.

• debplus3
    19 years ago

I have seen evidence of munching this year also. A couple of the rosettes were left with only the outer leaves but have quickly regrown from the inside with new rosettes as the critter was gracious enough to leave enough of the middle intact. I am suspicious of the baby rabbit or the annoying striped gophers I've been seeing. The munching seems to have stopped now. They seemed to like my large green ones the best.
    Deb

• Mitsy
    19 years ago

My gophers have dismembered them from underneath before.

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

The same thing has happened to one of mine too but I think it's a mole/vole or some such creature getting the root from underneath. I found a hole really close by.

Sponsored