Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Dividing Sedum: Did I Just Kill My New Plant?

leafy02
15 years ago

I just purchased a gallon-sized Stardust sedum, a variety similar in size and shape to Autumn Joy. The plant was so large and dense, I thought I could divide it and get two smaller plantings instead of one large one. I have grown low-growing sedums from cuttings, but I have never had a large plant of this type to divide before.

I tried to get in between the super-dense clusters and separate the root clumps without cutting into them, but it didn't work, and I ended up slicing the large root clump right in half. So then I had two chunks, but each chunk had a huge sliced-open area of root.

Did I just kill my new plant, or should the sliced area heal? I've planted both halves, but I'll be so sad if I've killed a perfectly beautiful plant by being greedy.

Comments (3)

• mollymaples
    15 years ago

You might lose some around the cut, but probably will end up with two plants just like you intended.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

It's probably too late for this advice now, but your best bet would be to let the cut dry/seal itself off a little (some people call it callusing over, but that's not really the correct name) before planting. Sedum is so tough, that, if you did let it seal itself off a little before you replanted it, I would expect very little, if any, loss.

• madtripper
    14 years ago

This is a weed - and cutting it in half will not kill it.

If you want more plants, just break off a stem and plant it. It will root and grow into a clump.

Sponsored