Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadedjc

How do I clean 'rusty' rocks?

shadedjc
18 years ago

I hunted for dozens of nice rocks last year, hauled them home and then landscaped and planted around them. I then watered my new garden and discovered my outdoor hose did not go through the rust filter and all my rocks are rust colored. What can I do to clean them up? Is there a chemical or something I can use to clean them???/

Comments (8)

• baci
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The problem may not have been your hose, but the rocks. If the rocks have iron in them & they get wet, the iron can precipitate out & you will see rust. I have had the same problem with some of my rocks, & am placing the iron rocks in areas that do not get water.
    You could try sanding them with a light abrasive. In the desert, that is how nature cleans them.

• shadedjc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, these definitely are rusty from the water. I've now put a new iron filter on my "outside" water and should have no more problems with that. But thank you for the abrasive answer... I will try that. THANKS!

• pontyrogof
    9 years ago

I was double checking my planned strategy to clean some excess flaky dulling deposits on some surface collected quartz crystal, so I used google and ended up here. For years, I assisted the proprietor of a rock shop lapidary service. I want to thank eggers00 even if it was back in 2006 for the comprehensive procedures that I know first hand work well.

• slotcar8
    9 years ago

Amen to that. What a comprehensive and well-explained answer.

• Wilna Bertrand
    5 years ago

I have a small boulder size Michigan Pudding Stone. Its background is a creamy grey quartz. It has a glorious mix of red jasper, a dark brown, and a dark denim blue stones that cover the entire rock. In the middle and near the top is an egg sized spot of rust. Orange brown rust. Very distracting. There are other smaller spots of rust along one side. I could live with those. The large one distresses me. How can such a large rock be treated?

• Heidi Frerichs
    3 years ago

I have rust on the fireplace stones. How do I get that off?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is a gardening forum, you may want to ask that in the cleaning tips forum

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/cleaning

Or the fireplace forum

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/firepl

tj

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio