Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss campion...flowering

Posted by dougak alaska5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 22:39

Hey folks, I have a nice collection of several moss campion cushion plants...I love the vibrant green leaves, but how do I make them flower? They have been in the same location for a few years now so they shouldnt' be stressed. Thanks in advance for anyones advice-doug in alaska

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss campion...flowering

My moss campions are also unco-operative little beasties. I have maybe a dozen plants and about 3/4s will produce flowers...some prolifically...others just a couple of buds. Right about now I give them a meal of diluted flower food...and keep them moderately moist. Definitely more moist than most alpines so I spot water them. The ones in full sun flower best.

Moss Campion seems to have the same sporadic flowering behavior in our nearby Rockies. There can be hundreds of plants in bloom among thousands for no reason that I can fuigure out.

Just a note: I don't like the plants that produce a zillion blooms but rather those that have no more than a dozen or so at a time. The fewer blooms show up nicely against the green cushion background. Also, they are a bit quirky 'when' they flower. Mine will start in about 2 weeks but there will be the odd bloom here and there throughout the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here