Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bogturtle

mini eunomyes or cotoneaster

bogturtle
20 years ago

Did not check spelling. Asked question in shrubs forum since it is typically a shrub but was purchased from Lamb's Nursery in PNW. Theyhave changed name and I lost contact.

They sold rock garden plants. This is an evergreen in my zone.

This plant has languished in a pot for about 12 years because it was so tiny I could not figure a place to put it. Even my groundcover sedums would over-run it. May have the varietal name 'minimus' or be the one released to the trade by the Bronx Botanical Gardens years ago. Now have it in part of rock garden that gets 1/2 day sun. Soil is sandy and acid but not terribly dry. It is, after 3 years, covering an area of a square foot. It is only about an inch in height and the individual leaves are more oval than round and only 1/4 inch long. Can anyone guess what it might be or if I am doing right by it? I have never seen flowers or fruit.

Comments (3)

• omniphasic
    20 years ago

Probably a Cotoneaster thymifolia.Are the stems rather rigid??

• bogturtle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you. I know 'Thymifolia' would have stood out in my mind. i did not know, 10 years ago, that I would forget its name or have anyplace where I could find the names of forgotten cultivars. I will borrow my daughter's digital camera and ask her how to post a photo of this rather non-descript little trailer. I still think is is an eunomys or however its spelled. I only care because it may be struggling because I am not giving it the care it particularly needs.

• bogturtle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Settled on Eunomyes 'Kewensis'. Continues to live but not thrive.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert