Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mini eunomyes or cotoneaster

Posted by bogturtle SE NJ 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 04 at 23:03

Did not check spelling. Asked question in shrubs forum since it is typically a shrub but was purchased from Lamb's Nursery in PNW. Theyhave changed name and I lost contact.
They sold rock garden plants. This is an evergreen in my zone.
This plant has languished in a pot for about 12 years because it was so tiny I could not figure a place to put it. Even my groundcover sedums would over-run it. May have the varietal name 'minimus' or be the one released to the trade by the Bronx Botanical Gardens years ago. Now have it in part of rock garden that gets 1/2 day sun. Soil is sandy and acid but not terribly dry. It is, after 3 years, covering an area of a square foot. It is only about an inch in height and the individual leaves are more oval than round and only 1/4 inch long. Can anyone guess what it might be or if I am doing right by it? I have never seen flowers or fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mini eunomyes or cotoneaster

Probably a Cotoneaster thymifolia.Are the stems rather rigid??

o

Thank you. I know 'Thymifolia' would have stood out in my mind. i did not know, 10 years ago, that I would forget its name or have anyplace where I could find the names of forgotten cultivars. I will borrow my daughter's digital camera and ask her how to post a photo of this rather non-descript little trailer. I still think is is an eunomys or however its spelled. I only care because it may be struggling because I am not giving it the care it particularly needs.

o

Settled on Eunomyes 'Kewensis'. Continues to live but not thrive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here