Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflylion_gw

Sempervivums: Largest Varieties?

butterflylion
17 years ago

What are the largest Sempervivums? How big do they get?

Comments (4)

• marquest
    16 years ago

I do not have them all but of the 50 or so I have.....The biggest one I have is a old noname that you see everywhere grows to about 6-8". It is green with maroon tips in the summer and red in the winter.

• reneeslovenia
    15 years ago

The largest variety is reported to grow 30 cm in diamether -as I've once seen on a web page of German collector. Mine biggest one are half that big.

See my sempervivum blog:
    http://sempervivum.sosblog.com

Intereseted in swapping Sempervivum plants? Mail me!

Here is a link that might be useful: sempervivum blog

• chrisware
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I'm fortunate to have a semp nusery nearby. John at North Hills Nusery has amazing plants. (he has a web site)
    If your ever through west virginia, you'll have to look him up. I always tell him I want the giants

Some of my largest growers which catch people's eyes are:
    Money- red- fast grower
    Jungle Shadow-purple
    Emerald Giant- the old green and red tip... pinch off babies for huge size on this one
    Rubra Ash-dark olive and redish depending on light
    gigantium- grey green
    Neptune gets big, though not as large as the above ones. the color is amazing though at some times of the year... very grey lavender.

Sometimes these look like plates in the gardens. I do find though that once the dry spells of August arrive, you do have to baby and water them to keep the size, or they will drop their outer leaves, but still look good.

Later,
    Chris

• beauregard
    15 years ago

It's great talking to other Semp and Jovi enthusiasts! I have quite large Sempervivum garden with approximately 300 or more plants. I am trying to use them as a border as well as a groundcover. The soil consists of regular soil mixed with sand, gravel, mulch and a bit of peat. It's on a bit of a slant..so it has very good drainage. I too planted the largest types but much to my dismay they flowered and withered away without producing many chicks. I really don't like the flowers so I snip them off. I want various shades of reds & purples. What varieties are the most successful? Any gardening tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH