Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiny1000

What Plant To Use

tiny1000
16 years ago

This is my first post so firstly hello, I have just laid a patio with the idea of planting a low growing hard wearing plant inbetween the slabs. Today I saw exactly what I wanted, but no body in the house knew it's name. It had no flower (at this time) and was no more than half an inch high with little round leaves probably 2-3 mm across. It grew so dense that nothing else had a chance to grow. It grew inbetween their slabs as well as growing up and over their rockery - Does anyone have any ideas - Cheers

Comments (2)

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

Hi tiny,
    Im new also, Have you ever tried Thyme between stones? There are many varieties and are very sturdy for walking on. Some of it even gives off a scent when stepped on.I just bought some that has gorgeous texture.
    I also love sedums for between rocks.The low growing sedums spread but can be easily controlled because they are shallow rooted.
    cyn

• juudyshouse2012
    16 years ago

I am in the process of putting in the exact same type of patio. First, make sure that you have a combination of soil and sand in between your stones or you won't be able to grow anything. Also, it is important that whatever you plant gets watered regularly, especially the first couple of years.

I am going to plant wooly thyme on mine. It is very hardy, fast growing, evergreen, likes full sun and gets pretty little purple flowers in the summer. It only grows about 4" high, very compact and is drought tolerant. It really doesn't have a scent.