Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_dandy_gw

How Do I Start Edelweiss Seeds?

jim_dandy
19 years ago

My fiancé just returned from Bavaria and brought several packets of Edelweiss and other alpine plant seeds as a gift. I really would like to get them to grow to show what a garden wiz I am but I've never grown any kind of alpine plant before. Where do I start?

Comments (5)

• paulns
    19 years ago

That is a nice gift. According to Clothier's:

Surface sow at 20ºC (68ºF) in light, germinates in less than two wks.

I've found them very easy and quick to start. Just press them into the soil surface - they need light to germinate.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing edelweiss

• hostacrazy
    18 years ago

Hi Jim Dandy,
    I winter sowed some Edelweiss seeds and just planted it into my garden today. I had great success with it.
    Kat

• sugeshotcha
    18 years ago

Will the seeds germinate naturally outside in a South Australian winter (average 6 - 12 degrees celcius), or is it better to leave the pot on a windowsill inside?? Also, would it even be better to germinate the seeds in a greenhouse with a heat mat underneath, where a humid environment could occur?? Please tell me.

• babbaabby
    14 years ago

I brought Edelweiss seed from Switzerland and it has germinated LIKE MAD! Now I have hundreds of tiny germinated plants in Maine (zone 4)! So when can I put them outside (usually not till June) and do I just divide up into tons of pots now? HELP!
    Thanks,
    Abby

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

I guess trying to grow then in so cal is out, do they need a cool stage?