Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manifest_gw

Haastia pulvinaris or vegetable sheep

manifest
19 years ago

Hi all,

I saw this plant at a local nursery as a specimen plant and was so taken by it. I was told by one of the workers that it is indigenous only to New Zealand and Australia and can only be purchased at botanical gardens.

Was wondering if any of you knew where I could locate it here in the US, as well as provide any other info on it - propagation methods, general care, etc.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• MarkG_UK
    19 years ago

Hi, I think the Haastia is only in New Zealand. There are at least 3 speacies, plus a few cushion Raoulias are called 'vegetable sheep' becasue they get so big shepards sometimes used to trek over the mountains only to discover that it's a plant! Many of these big ones are actually dead. re getting it in the US..don't know..you might find someone that has raised plants from fresh seed. I think your best way of getting it is via a seed exchange. The New Zealand Alpine Garden Society do a great excahnge and you may get lucky. I raised Raoulia eximea once..but only once. good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: New Zealand Alpine Garden Society

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Found in the South Island; in the drier mountains of south east Nelson and in Marlborough. (Which has a droughty climate and hot summers/cold winters.) Grows from 4,500 to 6500 feet,on partly stable fellfield and where the base rock (greywacke) is being shattered. Also found in stable rock debris but is absent from mobile scree.

Raoulia can do quite well on shingly riverbeds - even surviving flooding, but it needs the skinny diet and the reflected heat to keep its tight form. About the best it gets in fertiliser is rabbit or hare droppings...

In the lower areas, with more moisture, it tends to flop, sprawl, and rot.

Can't help with seed, sorry, but I can imagine how fascinating it could be to have such a 'sheep' in the cool glasshouse!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals