Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mareas_gw

Sempervivum Lovers Unite!

mareas
20 years ago

I would love to talk about Sempervivum, Marmoram and Jovibarba species culture and identification! Maybe trading, too. Anybody out there?

Comments (87)

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Xanadu, my vivid, bright red & deep purple semps DO lose their color in the heat of summer (here that is July through September), regardless of the shade I give them with big, floppy leaved sunflowers. Now that it has started to freeze at night here again all the colors are coming back - makes me LOVE winter!
    Robert, thank you so much for all the informative, eye-candy links!!

• robert
    20 years ago

For me in the UK sempervivums have their best colour in the spring and early summer. Plants that are kept under cover, that don't experience the sun on their backs and the wind in their hair, perform badly in terms of colour. It's the weathering and direct light that promotes the pigment. Kept in the shade most will go green. I give my plants some winter protection with good ventilation. This combined with low light levels means that the plants start the year with poor colour. Once outside in the open air they colour up within one or two weeks. It's a remarkable transformation that never ceases to amaze me.

• terryincs
    20 years ago

I made a trip to a nursery in Stoughton, WI while back east in Sept. Brought a couple of semps out here to CO and planted them in my regular flower bed for lack of anywhere else to put them at the time. Malby's Hybrid and Semp. oumilum. I am making hpertufa troughs and will prob. replant them in them this spring. Should I mulch them now? It was 75 2 days ago and 20 today!!! Never sure what to do with new plantings. I also picked up a few dianthus and veronicas that were just charming. Same questions for them. I will be buying more of all I am sure. I am enthralled with trough gardening now!

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

terryinCS - I don't think mulching your sempervivums is a good plan. I have read other posts that describe missing whole colonies of semps when they are looked for under the mulch in the Spring - I suspect the plants die of crown rot and lack of sun over the winter. I carefully keep my plants free of leaves and debris and they have never failed to survive a mountain top winter. Your 2 semps are new to me - if you get photos uploaded please let me know!!

• petsitterbarb
    20 years ago

Thanks to all who responded to my post, with special thanks to Robert for all the "homework"! I have two orders enroute, and have done some "treasure hunting" at antique stores, and have come up with some very old metal bicycle baskets and numbered metal gym baskets to start my collection. Can't wait for my new little charges to arrive, and I have my fingers crossed that I can baby them along and do well with them. Cheers! Barb

• Bostonian
    20 years ago

Here's a site that is no longer selling but has some really good pictures for displaying

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cat Nursery

• toomanyanimals
    20 years ago

Wow! Not another collection to start! I just loved the pictures at the Black Cat site. Well, maybe just a 'small' collection will be fine! lol

thanks for the list of sites that sell.

tma

• flowerfloosey
    20 years ago

I am so excited to find this thread! I am hooked and didn't know that everyone else was too! HA! U have given me so many ideas of things to plant these wonderful treasures in..as soon as possible, I will share pics!
    Thanks all!

• robert
    20 years ago

Having a web site which has a big section all about Sempervivums I am really pleased by the number of E-mails I get from Americans who have enjoyed their visit. I had one this morning from a lady who lives in California who would like to get hold of the Semp. called Cmiral's Yellow. I've tried to track down a US supplier but can't find one. This plant isn't stocked by Squaw Mountain Gardens. Does anyone have this plant or know where to find one on your side of the Atlantic Ocean? Please leave a message if you can help. I think import regulations might make posting one of my plants to California a bit tricky. If you want to know what this plant is like look at the picture on the home page of my web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photograph of Cmiral's Yellow

• Mitsy
    20 years ago

I just ordered some semps from Mountain Crest Gardens, and I hope to visit there sometime, since they are about a two hour drive north.
    I enjoy semps, too, although many of mine are unnamed since I snag them at Home Depot when the shipments first comes in.
    Mine seem to do better out in the ground tucked under rocks on the east sides, with perhaps a plant that will grow over and shade it in summer since our summers are so horribly hot in Redding, CA. I grow some of them on the north side of the house in pots and in feather-rock collections up against the house under the eaves where the rain can't drench them. I've lost none to cold weather, even though we get colder winter temps (mid 20s) than normal for our area.

Mareas, that Tiger Stripe semp was GORGEOUS! Yow!, wanna trade an Echnopsis pup for a Tiger pup? Do you like cacti that bloom? There is a photo of my cacti greenhouse with some of them blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardens and more

• Heidi_mo
    20 years ago

I got a couple of Cmiral's Yellow semps from Squaw Mountain Gardens in Estacada, Oregon a couple of springs ago. They didn't have it listed in their catalog, but I requested it and got some. Mine has been a very slow grower, barely holding on, but I'm hopeful it will produce chicks this spring.
    Heidi

• flowerfloosey
    20 years ago

Has anyone out there ordered from henandchicks.com? I am having a horrible time getting my plants ordered more than a month ago. They don't communicate with you either and have no phone or address info on their website. I would like to hear from anyone who has had dealings with them!
    Thanks all!
    Cynde

• petsitterbarb
    20 years ago

It's ironic that Cynde's post was the last one here, since I hopped on to ask if anyone knows why henandchicks.com only accepts PayPal as payment. I'd love to order some semps from them, but don't have or WANT PayPal. I emailed them to see if they ever accept checks or money orders, but haven't heard a word, and it's been several days. I'm looking forward to my Squaw Mountain order, and am delighted that Spring is finally here! My new "addiction" of semps can grow in many places here this Summer...
    Cheers! Barb

• mareas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

hensandchicks.com update: They finally sent Cyndee her order (with substitutions) after 2 months and with NO email responses ever. Use your semp buying money to go to a reputable nursery with online ordering!!

• snuffyj
    20 years ago

Hi!

Does anyone have a recommended time to plant Semps? I live in Minnesota (central) and we have a short summer. I want to order some new plants but don't know when to order them, as I would like to plant them shortly after they arrive. Thanks! Lori

• marquest
    20 years ago

If you can go outside without freezing to death and you can see ground and not snow semps can be planted. I have ordered from Squaw Mountain in Jan. and planted them in 30 degree weather.

• flowerfloosey
    19 years ago

Hi...I would like to know the names of some semps that are reddish or pinkish that hold their color well in the hot summer? Anyone else out there have any that fit those qualifications? I have found that "Lizanne" does really well and stays red all through the heat! Thanks for any suggestions!
    Cynde

• FlowersForMyFarm
    19 years ago

Hi mareas! I'm still out here and busy collecting semps. They seem to be doing really well this year! I've even broadened my horizons and added a couple of jovi's to my collection.

• tuanh
    19 years ago

that is real nice, the colors are stunning! thank for sharing.th

• buffy10207
    19 years ago

I only have 4 different kinds of semps now but I just placed an order with Squaw Mountains for 12 more & can't wait to get them. My husband will have a fit but at least I can tell him these will remain outside. I have no more room inside for anykind of plant. I'll post some pics once I receive my new ones.

• mvhrn81
    19 years ago

Hi, I put some images on the Cacti Gallery under the under the post "Can someone tell me what I have?" I didn't know how to do it here. Can anyone help me ID them?

• jackierooke
    19 years ago

GEEZ I'm desperate for spring! Found this thread and thought I'd post. I need some sympathy. I ordered lots of $s worth of semps last year. Mareas got me hooked (her fault). We had BIG winds that lifted many of them and took them to OZ(send them back) and all my careful labels also went off with the wind.......SNIFF.. So to make myself feel better I just put in an order with Mountain Crest..... LOL

Jackie

• mareas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jackie - You DO have my sympathy! Poor Jackie!! Winds strong enough to pick up semps and labels and send them off? Horrors!
    Now that you're "hooked" [evil grin] I can well imagine it was a deep, emotional blow to lose those garden jewels. Please DO tell what you think of the Mtn Crest shipment - I've never purchased from them and am most curious.
    The worst thing that happened to my garden in 2004 was that my cat discovered that plant labels are great toys, so now I have to re-identify about 30 or so clumps. At least I have the list of which cultivars and species I've brought in...
    Here's to a bright, deep purple Semp Spring ~ Marea

• jackierooke
    19 years ago

If my Oregon Sky is gone to Oz I'll really be upset. DH has 2 days off. I let him "rest" one day, but tomorrow he's going with me to GoodWill to look for kewl containers! He found me a little red wagon last year but it was in October. I've been making myself feel better by ordering. I thought I'd get a real confirm from Mt. Crest today but didn't. All I got was the 'we got your order' minutes after I put in the order. So I'll let you all know.

Any hope of getting a Semp list?
    jackierooke@cbpu.com

• jim_dandy
    19 years ago

Wow. The more I learn the more I learn there is more to learn. I remember when I started gardening and thought all hostas looked alike and that hosta collectors must be crazy. Today I discover that hens and chicks aren't just for old boots. I checked out some of the sempervivums for sale online and now I want some. I don't even have any of the old boring kind that everyone's grandmas have. I'm so sad now. I need to go shopping.

• muddytoez8Wa
    19 years ago

Mareas .. thank you for starting this thread and to all those sharing their info. I enjoy several varieties of sedum in my garden and am inspired here to add to my collection. Have tried to grow the hen & chicks but the timber tigers,(squirrels),love them for snacks.

• jackierooke
    19 years ago

Muddytoez8Wa, I've had squirrels make lunch out of mine too. A local nursery told me to sprinkle them with Cayenne pepper. the pepper won't hurt the semps and they get it in and on them. Then when the squirrels get a whiff or a bite they run away.....I put it on 3 days ago and so far I don't think any more are missing... So maybe the Cayenne really works!

jackie

• chloeasha
    18 years ago

I put off ordering rfom Squaw Mnt. until I owned my own house. They are so bad! lol! I put all kinds of things in my cart (semps, jovs., etc) and realized I had to cut it back when I had $500 in there lol. What about these little guys is so awesome?! Glad to know others share in the sickness. My fav is to put mine in bonsai pots and mulch with small shells. I love it!

• buffy690
    18 years ago

I have quite a few varieties of plants that fit here in this thread. I too would like to find others I do not have.
    Sedums I have: Autumn Joy (2), rooting an autumn fire. vera jameson, voo doo(2), matrona(2), frosty morn, golden star(lots), rupestre(lots), rooting some of the katchamacehen (way wrong spelling), brilliant, and rooting some neon.

I have a few hen and chicks, but would love to acquire a couple of the echeveria like 'blue curls' and 'crinkle'.

I am starting a few of each of these to have extras around
    autumn joy
    brilliant
    matrona.

The numbers above are starts I have rooted and can trade

contact me

• mareas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi fellow Semp affecionados! Thought you might like to see my beloved 'Exquisite' semp fixing to bloom:
    {{gwi:370554}}

Those semps in bonsai pots with shells must be so pretty - I find myself looking for pretty semp pot rocks everywhere!!

• chloeasha
    18 years ago

NICE!! what's the one to the upper left? Yeah, I love my little semps with their pots and shells. I'll get a pic when I get back next week and post something up on here about it!

• reneeslovenia
    18 years ago

Anyone here cares to exchange sempervivums? I live in Slovenia / Europe, but it's possible to swap small parcels (10-15 pcs) with people from USA (sending semps in an envelope!).

Write me! renee@email.si

• peachpie1001
    18 years ago

We make hypertufa troughs and the sempervivums love living in them. So go to the hypertufa forum and learn to make some pots for your semps. We gather scree along stream beds near by and use a mixture of homemade potting soils and scree for planting. Fish emulsion for fertilizer once a month.

• reneeslovenia
    18 years ago

Will make a sempervivum swappers list.

To get you in the list and get a list itself once ready, mail me your email address and counts and surplus / wanted list.

Happy swappin in 2006!

Here is a link that might be useful: few of my semps ...

• old_greek
    18 years ago

Has anyone any semp seeds to share? Unknown heritage would be fine......I'm not looking for a particular cross. I just like the anticipation of the unknown.

• reneeslovenia
    18 years ago

The address of sempervivum forum I just started is

http://sempervivum.mojforum.si

Everybody is welcome to join!

• reneeslovenia
    17 years ago

Sempervivum swappers & sellers list vol. 2 will be out by the end of June 2006. There are 20+ listing and more than 1000 cultivars and species listed. For a free copy mail me ...
    Ads are free, too, so anyone who wants to place an add in vol. 3 - contact me.

Here is a link that might be useful: sempervivum forum

• pjtn65
    17 years ago

Question...do any of you plant in the ground or do you always use pots for semps???

PJTN

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Certainly, in the ground too.

• shapiro
    17 years ago

I am growing semps both in the ground and in throughs (we have about seven throughs) My newest one is called Blue Boy - it is big - the mother plants is a bit larger than a good sized grapefruit. Another one I like is quite a bit smaller - it is called Oddity - and the petals are little upright tubes. I have a red one called Crimsonette. It is about as big as a small apple. I like the little cobwebby ones - does anyone have any tricks to make them grow bigger?

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

I just started collecting this year and I am hooked! I have over 40 varieties now and hope to have over 100 by the end of fall. Would love to trade with anyone....named for named. Right now I only have a couple of named varieties ready for trade but should have quite a few in the spring. Anyone have a recommendation for a fertilizer? PLMK!

• aelwood
    17 years ago

Hello to sempervivum enthusiasts. I have a selection of sempervivums to swap, please email me for details.
    aelwoodfinch@btinternet.com

• msteddybear
    17 years ago

I would love to know where I can buy these kind of plants. I would love to see more black ones as well.

• msteddybear
    17 years ago

I am very interested in buying a couple of these plants, I even have pic of the ones I want. Can anyone help me get them I would be forever greatful. How can anyone not love these plants.

• leftwood
    17 years ago

One of the many nurseries:

Here is a link that might be useful: Squaw Mountain Gardens

• msteddybear
    17 years ago

thank you. I order the plants and I have receive them,I know I have gotten the right soil for them but I think one of them is dying. What can I do! the leaves has gotten soft. I dont want the black prince to die but I dont know what to do to save it. Please help me.

• seuss
    16 years ago

Hey here's mine!
    {{gwi:370556}}

• lilmac442
    16 years ago

Seuss,
    That is a very pretty semp. I love the way you have it displayed. Mine are less formal-I stick 'em anywhere I can. They are in rock gardens,containers and even some in a old tree stump that I filled with dirt.
    I have named and unamed. I brought them from Michigan to Upstate NY last fall. Now I am having to relocate back to Mi and they get to take a road trip again. Thank goodness they are hardy little guys, most plants wouldn't like being moved around like that!

• Fleur
    13 years ago

Is anyone interested in trading for unnamed variety semp pups? I have a few of those as well as a few named varieties. I'm just getting started with semps (with my granddaughter).

• miniquilts
    13 years ago

I love Semps. i am wanting to do a rock garden of just Semps next year. I have a few neat varietys if anyone is interested in an exchange with me.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths