Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lewisia neverdensis

Posted by Lenh teesside,uk (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 04 at 4:45

Hi
I'm new to alpines,my wife has just become interested in them so that means that i have to be as she cannot use a computor.
She brought home a Lewisia nevardensis the other day in bud, a beautiful plant.After it finished flowering .

Two questions please .
1. she came to me with some shoots about one inch long with a bulblet at the bottom.and asked if they would grow if she potted them up? I could not see why not and suggested half sharp sand and half soiless compost.

2. now that is just finished flowering it has which I assume to be seed heads forming.when they are ripe will they come true to type? They were in bud when she bought it and it has been on our kitchen window ledge so there is no possiblity of cross pollination.
I would appreciate any advice
Thank you
Len

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lewisia neverdensis

I assume you mean Lewisia nevadensis? If so, I have grown them from seed a couple of times (including this spring). All Lewisia seed IME require cold stratification to germinate, so if you do get seed from your plant(s) you'll need to stratify the seed to germinate it.

The question is, will you get seed? The plant flowered on your windowsill, did you have insects pollinate the flowers, or pollinate the flowers by hand? I don't know if Lewisia is wind pollinated, but I would guess they require bees, etc. to visit the flowers to get viable seed.

Someone who grows alpines indoors should weigh in here to answer that question for you, I don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here