Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitusko

sedums and rock wall plantings

mitusko
16 years ago

Here's a selection of compact, cushion-forming or trailing Sedums from my garden in England.

{{gwi:370563}}

I almost prefer the developing flowerbuds to the flowers themselves. Below is Sedum cf. 'Little Gem' flowering (not a hardy plant).

{{gwi:370564}}

In my propagation area I keep about 40 Sedum species + cultivars (all low-growing types), but only about half of these are planted out in the garden. Although, I suppose the propagation pots & trays are becoming garden features themselves!

{{gwi:370565}}

S. ewersii is great in containers with taller plants, here a rather weatherbeaten Cordyline. Underplanted with snow-in-summer.

{{gwi:370566}}

S. spurium variegatum. Does it flower?

{{gwi:370567}}

The top of one of my rock walls, planted a few years ago with sedums, sempervivums, miniature conifers, and Oenothera missouriensis. It works well, but have to keep my eye on the more vigorous sedums.

{{gwi:370568}}

Another wall with Sedum rupestre trailing down its sides. Alongside aubretias, campanulas and alyssums.

{{gwi:370569}}

And here's one I keep indoors - S. morganianum

{{gwi:370570}}

Thanks for viewing. I'd be interested to see how other people use sedums in their gardens, please post!

Comments (4)

• jackierooke
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! I am so jealous. I lost ALL my rockgarden plants becuz of Culligan. For years I assumed my outside water was NOT going thru the softener since I specifically asked that it not be. Couldn't understand why I couldn't get anything to grow! Then I find out it was going thru the softener and I've been giving them salt.

Now I have to start over again. I sure would like mine to look like your's some day!

Jackie

• xanadu
    16 years ago

Beautiful.

• mitusko
    Original Author
    16 years ago

glad you enjoyed these pics. Jackierookie - I'm so sorry about you losing your plants. But you shouldn't have to be jealous for long, some of these sedums grow very quickly. Creeping sedums like S. album 'Coral Carpet' or S. acre 'Golden Queen' will cover a wall in no time. That Cerastium is useful too, in fact it is rampant and a bit invasive.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

Gorgeous is right. OMG I love it. I cant wait until my wall fills in. I doubt it will be as beautiful as yours though.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022