Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumb_gw

Perennials, less than 1', for full sun?

Greenthumb
19 years ago

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I need some advise.

I need some fairly short (1' or less, approx.) perennials to plant among my dwarf conifers and smaller growing trees. I have the proverbial moist, well-drained soil (pH 6.8) with more-or-less full sun (6 - 10 hours). I don't want anything invasive (spreads by roots or seeds).

A long bloom season and interesting foliage (color, shape/texture) would be a plus. I have included some ornamental grasses, but need a few plants for spots of color here and there. I know I am asking for the world, but anything you could suggest will be appreciated. Matt-forming or mounding plants would work especially well.

Are there any perennials that fit the above criteria that you could recommend?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Comments (4)

• leftwood
    19 years ago

Hi Mike,

Are you coming to the Rock Garden Society garden tour this Sunday? I know you'll see somethings you like. It ends at my house and feel free to stick around and we can talk in depth...about a lot of things. Also we are stopping at Venero Gardens Nursery in Shorewood. From their catalog I saw a few that fit your bill. I have 25 10% off coupons to pass out too.

Just thinking now, I came up with these that you might like:
    Aruncus aethusifolius
    Iris pumila (I even have one that grows 4-6")
    Iris tectorum
    Iris setosa
    Platycodon Sentimental Blue, Komachi, Apoyama (I'm starting Komachi and Apoyama from seed this year)
    Filipendula 'Kokome'
    Species fritillaria and tulips
    Spirea 'Golden Elf'
    Mini Daylilies-there's even a mini Stella
    Aquilegia flabellata
    Thalictrum kusianum

If you are coming on the tour and you think it's ready, bring a rooted Thuja occidentalis 'Filiformis' and we'll do some trading.

Rick

• Greenthumb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Rick,

Sounds good.

Yes, I had planned on going on the tour, but forgot that it was this Sunday already. I do have some rooted T. o. 'Filiformis' that I rooted last year, but they are still quite small. I will bring one for you. I just potted up the plants that I started this year.

Thanks for the list. I will look the plants up in my books and on the internet to see what catches my eye.

If we are going to a nursery next Sunday, I can't miss that. As Darth Vader once said: "The urge to purchase plants ("the force") is strong in this one". OK, so I might not have that quote exactly right, but it's true.

I'll see ya on Sunday.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

• Ardra
    19 years ago

Dianthus deltoides 'arctic fire' might fit the bill. It is a low growing matt forming plant that blooms (for me) from June to late September.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

I like dianthus, heuchera, low growing sedums, threadleaf coreopsis, low growing achillea, spring bulbs of all sorts (crocus, chionodoxa, small daffodils), alchemilla mollis, fragrant violets, low growing veronica.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert