Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyfox_gw

whats growing out of my semp

kathyfox
19 years ago

here's another "DAH" question. very small viny type strands are growing out of my semp. are these the chicks? and what will happen when the grow larger. do i cut them and plant them and when? thanks for the help

Comment (1)

• xanadu
    19 years ago

If they are emerging from the sides of the plant, not from the center, they are the chicks. Be careful, they are easily damaged at this point. They will grow into miniature semps and, depending upon the variety, will sprout their own roots at about the size of a garbanzo bean. If you have them in a large enough pot they can stay attached to the parent until they get crowded. Trying to repot or replant when the chicks are tiny is risky. I've broken the tiny stems and in that case the chick will die if it's too small. If you need to repot try to wait until the chicks are the size of the above-mentioned garbanzo bean, they're more likely to survive if you break one off accidentally. If one does break off, just set it in a very shallow, small pot on it's own or in the ground. Hopefully it will be big enough to root. I've had some very small chicks survive. More than you ever wanted to know, huh?

Sponsored