Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlubb

corner curb rock garden; need help

mlubb
10 years ago

I live on a corner lot in NE Nebraska. The corner itself takes on a lot of salt & gravel in the winter so we are unable to get grass to grow on the corner. I am thinking that I want to put in rock bed or something that will look better than the weeds that do grow there. There is no sidewalk to get in the way. I have access to large rocks of all shapes and sizes but I have no idea white types of plants to put in, should I keep the plantings sparse and just do rock, should I use mulch or river rock for the base? I have mulched circles around the trees and the other beds in the front yard.
I truely don't have any ideas for this bed and I have been unable to locate much of anything on the web. I would really appreciate some guidance or ideas. TIA.
Mari

Comment (1)

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

Put in as large rocks as you can manage, as, in time, collecting dead leaves, plant material and all, bury the smaller rocks.
    Natural areas are not, usually, a mishmash of rock types, but one or two sorts, in layers, coloring being similar. Try to make natural looking courses or seams. Slant them back into the garden, so rain runs into the ground, and run them is courses, like natural rocks, if you can. You could check 'seaside gardens' on the web, to see what sort of plants they plant.