Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaceysgranny

Do you know if this plant is hardy?

jaceysgranny
19 years ago

Does anyone know if this is hardy? I need to know whether I can plant it outside or need to keep it in a pot. It's the one on the right. TIA, Nancy

{{gwi:370938}}

Comments (3)

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

Nancy, the little succulent plants do very well here and require very little attention. I plant mine in the commercial succulent mix and they thrive, water only occaisionally when completely dry. They do well planted in the open spaces of concrete blocks or old bird bath basins as long as they have good drainage and light. EP

• xanadu
    19 years ago

Your plant on the right looks like a sempervivum and they are hardy in your zone, though the echeveria you show in another post may not be. These two plants are both succulents and look somewhat similar but have slightly different growth habits, ie, the semp will die after flowering but hopefully will leave you with offsets, called chicks, while the echeveria flowers but does not die. My echeveria don't produce offsets on their own unless I cut off the rosette and plant it. The old stalk left behind sprouts multiple new rosettes. Echeveria are not supposed to be hardy in yours or my zone but mine are outside and thrive so you could try it. My echeveria take more water than my semps do. Both can drown from too much water so plant your semp. outside with very good drainage and, as enchantedplace said, let it dry out before watering again. Oh, semps like full sun in most zones, though here I have to provide some shade during midsummer because of our 105+F temperatures. My echeveria prefer a little more shade.

• jaceysgranny
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you both for your advice. I knew there was a difference in semps and echeveria but I'm never sure which is which and wasn't sure if all echeverias were not hardy. It's really nice to have all these forums with people who are willing to answer questions and help educate us. ;0) Nancy

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living