Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebutterfly7

Trying to start a rock garden

bluebutterfly7
19 years ago

Hi,

I'm working at an ecolodge in Temagami, ON and the woman I am working for is looking to develop a rock garden in front of the lodge. The rocks - well boulders would be a better description - are already in place (a straight line in front of the lodge) and are sitting on gravel and sand. The area is sunny all day.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to begin and what plants to choose from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Catherine

Comments (2)

• marquest
    19 years ago

Catherine, I have Sempervivum growing in a stone wall and the hardy sedums would look good. Have you checked out Squaw Mountain? They have a large selection of hardy Semps and Sedums.

• nagamaki
    19 years ago

Hi,
    1) take the time to see what others have done to get ideas about shape, plants, what you like or not, etc. This includes searching the internet, visiting nurseries and gardens in your area, going to garden shows, periodicals, etc. Take into account climate (zone, sun, wind, rain) and soil conditions when looking at plants.

2) decide on a theme it can be formal or informal, layout and design a scale plan of the intended area, include focal points, paths, sitting areas, special features, adding or moving rocks, etc. Think about how the garden will look through the different seasons.

When choosing plants take into consideration native plants as part of your landscape. At the same time consider what kind of animals to attract (birds) or not attract (deer food). There are so many wonderful plants to choose from; flowering, perennials, annuals, succulents, alpines, decidous, evergreen, shrubs, dwarfs, bulbs, groundcover, enjoy!
    ciao

Here is a link that might be useful: looking for ideas

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting