Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to start a rock garden

Posted by bluebutterfly7 3a bordering on 2b (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 04 at 15:23

Hi,

I'm working at an ecolodge in Temagami, ON and the woman I am working for is looking to develop a rock garden in front of the lodge. The rocks - well boulders would be a better description - are already in place (a straight line in front of the lodge) and are sitting on gravel and sand. The area is sunny all day.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to begin and what plants to choose from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Catherine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to start a rock garden

Catherine, I have Sempervivum growing in a stone wall and the hardy sedums would look good. Have you checked out Squaw Mountain? They have a large selection of hardy Semps and Sedums.

o
RE: Trying to start a rock garden

Hi,
1) take the time to see what others have done to get ideas about shape, plants, what you like or not, etc. This includes searching the internet, visiting nurseries and gardens in your area, going to garden shows, periodicals, etc. Take into account climate (zone, sun, wind, rain) and soil conditions when looking at plants.

2) decide on a theme it can be formal or informal, layout and design a scale plan of the intended area, include focal points, paths, sitting areas, special features, adding or moving rocks, etc. Think about how the garden will look through the different seasons.

When choosing plants take into consideration native plants as part of your landscape. At the same time consider what kind of animals to attract (birds) or not attract (deer food). There are so many wonderful plants to choose from; flowering, perennials, annuals, succulents, alpines, decidous, evergreen, shrubs, dwarfs, bulbs, groundcover, enjoy!
ciao

Here is a link that might be useful: looking for ideas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here