Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanad_gw

vertical growth of sempervivum

SusanaD
19 years ago

My grandmother grew hens and chicks in Alabama for years and I brought some to NC a couple of years ago. During the winter, I brought the pots of hens and chicks inside and several of them began growing up on vertical stalks with the leaves separated instead of taking the usual rosette form. I have never seen them do this. The tallest one is 4 inches. Even the new chicks growing from them have separated leaves and are looking like the vertical ones. I put them back outside but they are still doing that. Can someone please tell me what is happening and why and what I should do so they will regain their normal appearance. THanks.

Comments (9)

• robert
    19 years ago

These are flowering spikes SusanaD. Once the rosette has flowered it dies but the plant continues to thrive because of the younger rosettes.

• SusanaD
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Robert, I thank you for answering, but I'm not sure that's what's going on. I just looked at the photos under the posting, "Is My Hen and Chick Ready to Bloom?" and this does not resemble what mine are doing. I must get a digital camera so I can post a photo of mine. The leaves are widely separated, and since even some of the new "chicks" have this same appearance, I don't think they are about to bloom. Extremely new chicks don't bloom, do they?
    I'm wondering if it's related to the type of soil (regular potting soil) or perhaps the fact that I brought them indoors. I never did that in AL because winters were milder, but once I brought them to NC I kept them in the house on a window ledge part of the winter. Could this have anything to do with it?
    Please help. Is something wrong with my plants and how do I get them looking normal again?

• robert
    19 years ago

Certainly Semps don't like being in a situation where there are low light conditions. If they're not outside they will grow long and lanky and lose their lovely colours. I have a S. 'Kramer's Spinrad that is going to die because every rosette is flowering i.e. mature and young rosettes alike. These things do happen. You might be interested to know that I have just started a collection of Sempervivum flower pictures. Follow the link if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Semp. flower photographs

• Jookieblue
    11 years ago

Good Morning Forum,

This is my first post so bare with me please. I thought this would be the best place to post this concern I have with my Sempervivum Chicks. I just lost the mother hen due to root rot and that was very unfortunate because she was producing many baby chicks right before I transplanted her into a new pot. Anyways, I have a few of her chicks that I do not want to die and they too are growing upward and the bottom leaves have started to curl under. I took a few pictures of them up close in hopes that maybe someone can help me fix this problem. I have also bought a fluorescent light fixture to try and help them receive more light. I am currently growing them indoors until it gets warmer as I live in Michigan. They also are provided with indirect sunlight pretty much all day as well. Please any help to keep them living and growing would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

• botann
    11 years ago

They do not like it indoors. Too warm and not enough light. Usually overwatered also.
    Get them ouside when the weather warms above freezing, and keep them outside all the time, even through the winter. Putting them outside now will put them at risk because they are used to indoors even though they don't look good.
    Mike

• Jookieblue
    11 years ago

Thank you. I will wait awhile longer and then take them outside. I have not been really able to find much online as far as the semps growing upward.
    Thank you for your advice.

• abgardeneer
    11 years ago

The vertical growth is due to inadequate light, not to excessive warmth. It's difficult to provide adequate light indoors to plants that belong outdoors.

• botann
    11 years ago

Sure, they can take the heat, but coupled with low light and you're going to get what you have. If grown with low light you should lower the temperature as well to prolong their outdoor form.
    Get them outside as soon as your area warms up a bit. Harden off as mentioned above.
    Mike

• Jookieblue
    11 years ago

Will do. Thank you all for your help.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH