Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zeolite?

Posted by Pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 20:23

While shopping yesterday I came across 10 kg bags of Zeolite for $6 so I picked up a bag on impulse (and knowing nothing about it). My initial thought was that I would use it as a mulch in troughs (which I don't have just yet, but have plans to try making some hypertufa ones soon - bought a giant sized bag of vermiculite as well).

After I got home I started reading about it. Am I correct in understanding that Zeolite actually holds moisture? Will it be better served as a soil additive for the troughs, rather than a mulch? If as a soil additive, how much would one use, say for a wheelbarrow full of soil mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zeolite?

Zeolite is mostly a marketing item. Nothing wrong with it but I would buy 'sharp sand' if it's available at a cheaper price. I've been given bags of zeolite and see no difference from my plants grown in the same parts mixture of sharp sand.

This is personal preference but I don't like the look of zeolite in my troughs. It's a bit too artificial looking.

As stated I don't have any problems with zeolite. I just don't find any benefits over sand.

o

Zeolite as a potting Media

Looks like an old threat here. Quickly, blend in about 15% into soil or potting media by weight. Natural zeolite holds between 20 -35% moisture by weight.
Has a high cation exchange capacity or in other words a high nutrient holding capacity which it will exchange back to plants. The benefit here is as a holder of fertiliser and reduces nutrient leaching.
It is not a fertiliser and should be considered empty of nutrient. Some sources of natural zeolite are hard and can substitute for sand and other a soft and chalky where you will still need sand for texture. Colours range from white, pale salmon pink and pale green depending on original ore deposit.

o

hmmmm, there are some interesting reports using zeolite in phyto-remediation projects - still in infancy but also using it to counteract syndromes such as rose replant sickness. A fascinating substance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here