Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glojoh

angel trumpet plant

glojoh
22 years ago

Last year was my first experience with the angle trumpet

plant. I planted 3 plants and they filled my whole garden and were beautiful. Everyone who saw them raved about them. Now I find out they are banned in some places because they are a wee. My question is this. I have a yellow datura this year and it is much taller than the white ones I have bought. Do these plants all bloom the same? I see alot of people talking about the yellow ones and the fact that they have no blooms yet. Will my yellow ones bloom the same as the white ones?

Comments (21)

• Bluehwys
    22 years ago

Hi, glojoh. Do you have daturas (jimsonweed) or brugmansias? Both are commonly known as Angel Trumpet and have similar flowers, but they are different plants. Jimsonweed/datura is a native plant - all parts are highly toxic - and comes in many colors, including purple. Brugmansia is native to South America, and although it's not toxic, the sap of the plant is a strong halucinogenic substance - guess what it's used for in South America! Very fragrant at night - blossoms can be peach/pink, yellow, or white.

If the trumpet shaped blossoms on your plant face up or outward, it's a datura. If the blossoms hang straight down, it's a brugmansia. Small children, pets and drunk husbands should be supervised around either plant, but I wouldn't call either one a weed - they're both highly desirable additions to the garden, in my opinion.

Hope this helps. Anne J

• rgressley_fwi_com
    22 years ago

I would like to know where I can buy these Angel Trumphets.
    My email address is rgressley@fwi.com. Thank You

• lridge3_juno_com
    22 years ago

Depends on where you are. Nurseries in the southwest and south carry them fairly routinely now. Other states may not, since they are fairly tender and can't take cold temps. You might search online and find a place to order some.

• Marianne57
    22 years ago

you wouldn't belive that up here in Canada the green houses were chargeing $25.00 for a 6 inch pot for a single Datura. Last year we bought a six cell pack for $1.69. What a rip off!

• cyndih
    22 years ago

They grow on the sides of hwys in California...that is where my father in Law got his.

• sslasd_voyager_net
    22 years ago

I would like to know how to care for a angel trumpet tree. I live in wisconsin

• Greenhouse_Tom
    22 years ago

Hi what are the pest that like Burgs????

• topat
    21 years ago

A friend has given me a angel trumpet plant(Ithink)
    Does anyone have a picture of one? They are highly toxic?

• CalBatten
    21 years ago

A friend was concerned of the ability to become "high" from Angel Trumpet. From what I have read so far I understand Brugmansia, from South America and referred to as Angel Trumpet has a halucinogenic substance, whereas, Datura (Jimsonweed), also referred to as Angel Trumpet, which I have determiined my freinds plant to be, is only toxic, not halucinogenic. My quesstion is: How toxic is Datura and what can it do to someone that is in contact with it? I presume one would have to ingest it to have any ill effects, true or not?

• dickpurvis
    20 years ago

I purchased an Angel Trumpet plant two months ago and it just keeps on flowering and flowering. It is on its third sets of blooms. I was told that it would bloom four times a year from the nursery we got it from. If you'd like a picture of the flowers send me an email.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

All parts of the datura plant are poisonous. VERY sensitive people may have a skin reaction (red or itchy) but that's not common at all...but I wouldn't let my pets forage under one, or keep one in a house with small children. if I remember correctly, they're a neurotoxin, which slows down breathing and heartbeat, and the 'toxin' also causes muscle cramps. Brugs, on the other hand, do have a psychadelic in their sap, but it's like morning glory seeds- enough to get you 'high' will also turn your stomach inside out. not even close to worth it. God made little mushrooms with blue gills for that, no reason to treat the brugs as anything but an ornamental.

• cathianp
    20 years ago

you might want to try out this site, great knowlegdable gardeners willing to help all. www.brugmansias.org

• denize
    20 years ago

STUDENT CUTS OFF PENIS AND TONGUE

A student cut off his penis and tongue with garden shears while tripping on an hallucinogenic drug.

The 18-year-old German went into his garden and set about severing his organs after downing a tea made with the plant Angels' Trumpet.

The plant is a powerful and dangerous hallucinogen.

Doctors were unable to re-attach either his penis or tongue.

The student has been named only as Andreas, from Halle in Germany.

His mother said: "Andreas was behaving normally the whole day until he left the house and disappeared into the garden for a couple of minutes."

When he returned to the house he was wearing a towel wrapped around him and was bleeding heavily from his mouth and between his legs.

Angels' Trumpet is the latest drugs craze to sweep Germany.

Doctors said the teenager would need years of support.

Dr Andreas Marneros, from the local psychiatric hospital the student was admitted to, said: "Andreas will have to receive psychological help for years.

From Sky News Sept 23

• bllcrafts
    20 years ago

hi, does anyone have cutting of the angel trumpet plant to share

• CALLY_LILLY
    19 years ago

check out the "brigmansia" forum

• Maggie4
    19 years ago

If you want to know anything about Brugs or Angel Trupets just go to Brugmansia site on garden web. The people there are very willing to share plants and information. I have both. Datura (white lily flowers that point up)and Angel Trumpet (pink ones that point down) I love both.

With the questions of being toxic.... Lots of plants are..... how many of you are stupid enough to go and eat one?

• Harriel
    19 years ago

Hi i,m new to angel trumpets so plesase bare with me. I purchase a trumpet about three years ago an until last year
    I got only one bloom that didn,t open. This year many stalks started to come up.
    I decided to cut all of them except, four of the strongest
    stems back in hopes of plant spending it,s production in growth an blooms this year. My question is did I do wrong
    will this help promote growth & blooms or did I hurt the plant . I,m growing it in a five gallon pot that I repot
    last year. Thanks for your help p.s. the plant about 2.5 to
    3 ft. tall now

• joycebp_bellsouth_net
    16 years ago

Hi,

I ordered an angel trumpet this spring. It is very small. It came in a 2 1/2 inch pot. I have repotted in in a medium container and will replant it to a larger one but it seems like it is growing slowly. I have used miracle grow and I'm watering it. How long does it normally take for it to grow and bloom? I have heard so many wonderful things reg. the plant and I'm really excited to have the beauty and aroma. I have it on my deck and it gets sun to shade.

Thanks

• rottyinbluejeans
    16 years ago

I have Angels Trumpets.They look like this when they flower.

{{gwi:370994}}

{{gwi:370995}}

• blklabs2
    16 years ago

Hello,

I got 2 angel trumpets from Michigan Bulb Company. I gave 1 to my mom & I kept one. So far mine is doing better that moms hers is probley 1ft & mine is 3ft & has about 10 blooms almost ready to open. It has probley taken 3-4 months to get to the point its now at. I'm just worried what to do with it for the winter. About 2 months ago I brought it in the house cuz we had a bad storm but, was only in the house for 30 mins & it drooped over. I live in Wisconsin & am not sure how to care for my angel trumpet during the winter. Please respond if you have any helpful ideas.

Thanks

• milwdave
    16 years ago

blklabs, hello from Milwaukee. It depends on what you have. if the flowers hang from the stems it is burgmansia which will do fine in the house if you keep it close to dormant and do not try to force growth in winter. But quite frankly, I find them to be bug magnets indoors, so I do not keep them. Burgmansias are not hardy in Wisconsin.

Then there is Datura, which is also called Angel Trumpet. This is usually treated as a tender annual here in Wisconsin. The flowers are usually white and face either up or point out to the side but do not hang as in Burgmansia. These I have never had to bring through the winter indoors. They do reseed in the garden for me...sometimes too well...LOL. These are my favorite of the two. The seed grown plants from the previous year usually bloom by late June and continue through the first hard frost. And the plants get very large (2.5 to 3 ft tall and about 3 to 4 ft across in one season).

As far as toxicity is concerned, the Datura is a hallucinagen. It's seed pods are very large and has quite a lot of spikes on it...it kind of looks like a sea urchin. One year I was deadheading them barehanded and about an hour later I was having the usual hallucinagenic symptoms so I would suggest heavy gloves when handling the green seedpods. But all in all, a truly awesome garden plant...easy to grow and really beautiful. Hope this answers some questions about these plants.

Dave
    Milwaukee

Sponsored