Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_schreiber_gw

Woodland rock garden: need info re ice plant, please!

linda_schreiber
18 years ago

One of my housemates just bought a Delosperma floribundum "Starburst". I suspect that she was looking at this plant as an addition to the woodland rock garden..... But when a plant tag says "Use as a ground cover or for *erosion control*".... I would love some information on just how invasive this lovely thing might be, before I put it in the ground.

Even if it is fairly invasive, but just sprawls out and then roots in from the surface, this is no big deal. It is a small area to manage, and I can easily peel back and hack out excessive growth. But if it deep-roots or runners as well, or even aggressively self-seeds, then I would ***reeely*** like to know before I plant it.

Anyone have experience with this one?

Comments (4)

• brian2cv
    18 years ago

I doubt it will survive your winter outside so don't think it will be a problem for you, apart from not being around too long. It is a south african sun lover so don't put it in the shade.
    Brian

• boxofrox
    18 years ago

Linda,

I have about a dozen of that very variety and they are not invasive. I planted mine last May or so as little tiny starts and they came along nicely and bloomed profusely until late Oct or so. They got to be about 12"-18" wide and 8-10" tall and I was very pleased with them. I'm considerably milder than you and I did get some winter die back but they look to be making a fine recovery. Mine aren't in my rock garden though, I have them planted at the base of a block wall in a zigzag pattern alternating with dragon's blood sedum.

• paste592
    18 years ago

I plant them every darned year. They are annuals for me, and this year, not even that.

• linda_schreiber
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, guys. I am *much* reassured. Sounds like they will certainly be annuals here, too.

The person who bought them is usually downright *rigid* about only getting hardy perennials, and the plant label had no zone info at all. I figured she had asked the vendor.

It should be happy here, though. It is in a woodland-type rock garden that leads into the woodland area, but it is in a full sun/80% sun spot. But just a few feet away, into more partial sun, were some of my more sensitive endangered natives that I have been nurturing..... I was very nervous. I appreciate the information. Thanks.

Sponsored