Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharradog_gw

Advice on new tufa alpine garden

sharradog
10 years ago

I am (finally!) building a small alpine garden along a patio in my backyard. I have mostly flatt-ish tufa stones. I wanted to build a sort of berm, so that it is stacked 3-4 levels high on the wider side (closest in the photo) and working its way down to a scree slope towards the narrow end.
Also I would like to stand up some of the narrow rocks to make some crevices. Just wondering how this would look if I start with the current configuration of stacked on top of each other.
Any good tips please let me know, and where is best place to get alpines in Calgary?

Comment (1)

• abgardeneer
    10 years ago

The only places I'm aware of anymore to get alpines in Calgary are from the private growers in CRAGS, and a small selection (usually) at Rundle Wood. There is a CRAGS spring plant sale (already past) and a fall one, but by joining, you can connect with those who sell plants through the season. Other than that, there is mail order (Beaver Ck., Wrightman's). Hole's in Edmonton used to have some alpines and a good selection of interesting perennials, but now seems to prefer to sell kitchen supplies and home decor.

Sponsored