Draba rigida

abgardeneer
19 years ago

A lot of impact for a little plant!

{{gwi:371029}}

Comments (9)

• Gardener_boy
    19 years ago

In my new quest for info on Alpines, the Draba has caught my eye several times in the books I have. Do you have a mail-order source, as I imagine I will have to look outside the S.F. Bay Area to find it. Indeed a pretty plant.
    Thanks, David

• abgardeneer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry, can't help you for mail-order. (We're fortunate to have an excellent local source for alpines here.) However, virtually every desirable plant going is available from the NARGS seed catalogue...
    Lori

• acousticco
    19 years ago

Excellent picture! I really like these little flowers.
    -Cody from Calgary

• acousticco
    19 years ago

Also,
    I'd love to know your source for alpines in Calgary. I've been looking in the 'big box' nuseries and am finding very little....

-Cody from Calgary

• abgardeneer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

THE source for alpines in Alberta is Edward's Garden Center in Bowness (7900 block Bowness Road). They get new orders in pretty much weekly - last Sunday, for example.
    Actually, one of the terrific things about the "alpine" section is that, if you know your plants, you can find wonderful things that are not necessarily actual "alpines" but are unusual or rare and desirable plants (but are being treated as alpines, in the little grit-filled square pots).

• acousticco
    19 years ago

Thanks!
    I've been there, I found a wonderful Tom Thumb Cotoneaster and a Sawara Cypress. Thanks again,

-Cody

• sharradog
    19 years ago

My draba that I planted in a new tufa garden (I planted it straight into the tufa) has some leaves turning a bit yellow. I don't think it is underwatered (lots of rain a few days ago) and I don't think I have been overwatering, which I have been told could be the problem. It is in mostly full sun with some shade in the evening. My Raniculus alpestris is also going a bit yellow. Could this just be stress from transplanting?

• rinomanfroni
    14 years ago

I sowed my Draba Rigida seeds and I simply can't understand them.

They had a sporadic germination in a sealing bag, but then when I opened it and left the tray outside, most of them simply dried up, even though they had plenty of water.

Is it maybe because they don't like Texas weather at the end of April?

• madtripper
    14 years ago

Most alpin society seed lists have several Draba species on them.

I have found them easy to sow. I seeded them in winter so they get a cold spell. In spring they germinate very well. I then leave them in the pot, but burry them for the summer. this keeps them wetter than sitting above ground. Most varieties have overwintered very well.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996