Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

Hoof picks are Great!

leftwood
19 years ago

One of our members in the Minnesota chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society was asking around to other chapters: What would be a good table favor or door prize for our annual banquet?

Answer: Hoof picks.

They are great for weeding around our tiny living jewels in the alpine garden. And cheap! I bought mine at the local feed store for a dollar. (Although there are expensive ones too.) They look and work like a single tine hand cultivating fork.

Rick

Comments (5)

• brarygrl
    19 years ago

I keep one hanging by the back door - great for picking mud out of shoes before you go in!

• Greenthumb
    19 years ago

Rick,
    Where did you purchase your "hoof pick"? Sounds interesting.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• Cady
    19 years ago

Any feed store or pet supply that sells horse supplies. There are also plenty of equestrian supply mail order businesses with online catalogs. A Google search for would turn them up.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Tweezers are great for pulling out little weeds that are growing in clumps of alpines, or in scree that you don't want to disturb.

The cool thing is, tweezers come with different shape tips, from pointy and narrow (splinter removal) to wide and flat (for eyebrow/hair tweezing). So you can get a width and shape that works for various situations.

• leftwood
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mike, I got mine from the coop in Maple Plain.