Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeyhaze

How to Transport Large Boulder by Truck?

honeyhaze
15 years ago

I'm selling a property that has a boulder on it that I'd like to transport to my home. I have no idea how to move it :)

The rock is around 4' in diameter and 3' tall. I estimate it weighs around 500 pounds or less. Really, though, neither my husband or I have any idea.

How can we move this boulder? It's sitting nicely on top of the ground, so we won't have to dig it out much. We haven't been able to budge it at all, but I'm thinking maybe five strong folks could possibly lift it (again, hubby doesn't think so...)

Can I hire a tow truck to move this for us? Or maybe try to lift it onto the flatbed of a hauling truck from Home Depot?

Thanks,

Mariah

Comments (3)

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Unless that boulder is made of pumice, you are looking at at least 1500 pounds! Think of how much a yard (3x3x3ft) of rock mulch weighs: usually about a ton(2000 lbs.). You could call a landscape supply place that sells rock mulch to varify. I am trying to remember what the max load is on a Home Depot truck, I think it is 1500 pounds. Better call them to make sure. In addition, even if you were able to get in on the truck, just rolling it off would damage the hinges that hold the side walls on, if not crushing the side wall itself.

Barring a loader, a tow truck, I think, would be the best option. One that has a tiltable bed. Still, you would need some way to facilitate the sliding of the rock onto the bed without too much friction. Pulling a vehicle onto the bed is easy: it has wheels. Dragging a rock is a completely different thing.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi, I have to agree with leftwood, the boulder is more than likely much heavier than you think. You will probably need to find a mini-excavator or skid steer to pick up the boulder and put it in the back of a dump truck or flatbed truck. You would need some heavy duty straps to get beneath the boulder and then attach to the bucket of the excavator or skidsteer. Nations Rent is one company that offers the rental of large machinery for a few hundred dollars a day. Check your local phone book to see if you have a machinery rental company near you.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Gotta weigh at least ton (2,000lb). How far are you transporting it? Unless you feel adept at operating the machinery to weild this little monster, you may want to consider contacting a landscaper or nursery who deals with such things. Explain the sentimentality the stone has for you and ask for quotes to move it. At the very least you would get an idea of what's involved to move it.

tj

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer