Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markg_uk

Wonderful Alpine Oxalis

MarkG_UK
21 years ago

Hi, I've just completed an Oxalis gallery on my hobby website with some lovely choice Oxalis from South America and South Africa for rock gardens, troughs and the alpine house. The link is below, with a link to the other alpine galleries on that page. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpine Oxalis Gallery

Comments (5)

• apcohrs
    21 years ago

How much frost can these beauties take?

• MarkG_UK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I think the O. enneaphylla, O. adenophylla and O. laciniata are fairly hardy coming from Patagonia. The O.lobata has a reputation for being less hardy and most of the South African species tend to be grown frost free here. Mark

• crazy4plants
    20 years ago

Hi, I enjoyed reading about your oxalis finds. I am zone 5 to 6 (ohio, usa) and am currently growing a red leaf shamrock (oxalis) outdoors with great success. Can I pick your brain and ask you to give me a guess as to the latin name of my variety?
    I also use to very successfully grow deppei (iron cross) variety but I think I buried it too deep in mulch one year and lost it. So I am looking for that variety again.
    Here, in Ohio, we have Glasshouse Works in Stewart, Ohio that might be an interesting link for you to look into.
    Thanks for your time to read my email and Happy Plant Hunting. linda

• plsgrow
    19 years ago

Mark G, Thank you so much for your lovely photograhs and identification of the "Oxalis Ione Hecker, a hybrid of O. enneaphylla and O. laciniata bred by E.B Anderson, I think."
    The information on your 'hobby site' is all extremely helpful and I, for one, would like commend you on a excellent and informative site.

I found this plant at a local nursery in the Native Plant section in Tennessee, USA. It was marked only 'oxalis'.
    It was markedly different than the common oxalis that we have, I had to try it out. Thankfully, there was only one plant that had a bloom on it but it was was most helpful in identifying the specific plant. Now, when it disapears, I won't worry over much.

Thank you,

Pat

• robert
    19 years ago

A recent discovery of mine is - Oxalis magellanica - a tiny little thing with bronze coloured leaves and white flowers. It's a real gem. You have a stunning collection of plants in superb condition Mark and it's been a pleasure wandering through your web site. Thanks.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County