Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia_123

Sempervivum 'Hens n Chicks' Transplant ???

julia_123
18 years ago

I'm a sempervivum "newbie" and just got my first bucket of Hens n Chicks at a nursery...attempted to "dump them out" of the bucket and half of the "heads" fell off!! I know that they have very shallow roots...I went ahead and stuck the heads in sandy soil (in a pot I'd bought) - will they be fine, just naturally develop roots and grow? I know they don't like much water (maybe 1 good watering a week), but do they mainly like shade? Thanks!!

Comments (3)

• jackierooke
    18 years ago

Hi Julia,
    Semps like mostly full sun. yes the babies should root pretty easily. They don't like WET but the do like some water. Just don't keep them sopping. I collect "named" ones but I bought a container of common ones. it was packed with them and they were hard to get apart and some broke. But they are all rooting happily and its only been a week. So have no fear.....

jackie

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Art

• mareas
    18 years ago

julia, just plant the bottom quarter of the rosettes in friable soil, water in well and then keep moist but not wet. With adequate humidity, you should have rooted semps in a week or so.

• mareas
    18 years ago

SHADE: yes for the first few days - treat semps that you are rooting like a newly set free greenhouse plant: fragile, easily sunburned and worth it.
    I grow my prettiest sempervivum cultivars in mostly filtered shade - to keep their bright colors - here in 90 degree sunny Summer Southern Oregon...

Sponsored